New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is there anything i can do to save my old laptop? :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

I plan to buy a mac regardless of whether or not i get my old laptop fixed. ive had jsut about enough with windows and my magical puppy loving laptop

but i have some precious info that i need from my old computer..

so basically
PLEASE HELP ME!! if u can

the other day i got a virus and my computer just mysteriously shuts down.

when i try to turn my computer back on it prompts me to choose a path

if i want to go into safe mode, use last known good settings, or open windows normally, etc.

safe mode doesnt work, when i try to go into safe mode it gives me several lines of unrecognizeable gobbledygook that looks like this: //]]/\\131asdsjalak

when i try to use last known good settings it attempts to go into windows but then i get the dreaded blue fatal error screen message , it goes on and off too quickly for me to read what it says and then it makes my computer shut down

the same thing happens when i try to open windows normally

is there ANY way i can save the content of my computer???????

usually when i do "last known good settings" it works, but not this time!
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

There is, but it is a very detailed process to go through for the non-techie. First question is what version of Windows were you using? XP, 2K, 98? Regardless, you basically need to boot with a cd and get it to a "dos" prompt where you can run some utilities to get the virus disabled. Depending on which version of Windows you have it is either very easy, or not so much to get it there. Once there, "sysclean" is a good program for cleaning modern viruses using a startup cd and just that program. You have to know how to get it into that mode though and must use startup disk or cd.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

There is also another method.
1) Download an Ubuntu Linux image and burn it to a CD(should be bootable).
2) Insert the and boot from the CD.
3) The CD will boot into Linux environment and will display all the content/partitions on your HDD on the Desktop.
4) You can copy whatever you need into a external HDD (fat32 formatted) or transfer it through a FTP client to any other PC/Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

Or, you could buy an external firewire/USB caddy (2.5") and take the hard drive from your old laptop and connect it to another computer then copy your documents off.

If you are going to be using a Windows machine, make sure you have an AV scanner to make sure it doesn't infect the other computer.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i'm with wicker_man.

then you can format it and use as an external drive for your new mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Make Window stay on top | Convince Me! »