Couple of switcher questions

So I just got a mac after 10+ years on the PC side of the table, and have a few questions:

1) I know how to install apps, but how can I change what apps show up in the quickstart area at the bottom of the screen?

2) Where do I go to connect to network shares on my PC's? In the PC world I would do Start -> run or browse my network places, or map a network drive. Also note that I actually have Mac file and print services running on a server in my house, and managed to set-up the printer just fine.

3) How do I access my right click context menus? Such as the inline spell checker in Firefox, the apple-click doesn't work?

4)I hear about upcoming Leopard release, will this be an upgrade you must buy or will it be distributed as a free fixpack to my current OS X, and when is it expected.

Thanks
    in Advance,

Jessica

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    See below in bold text.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Bimmer View Post
    So I just got a mac after 10+ years on the PC side of the table, and have a few questions:

1) I know how to install apps, but how can I change what apps show up in the quickstart area at the bottom of the screen? You can simply drag apps on and off the dock.

2) Where do I go to connect to network shares on my PC's? In the PC world I would do Start -> run or browse my network places, or map a network drive. Also note that I actually have Mac file and print services running on a server in my house, and managed to set-up the printer just fine. Make sure Sharing is turned on under System Preferences. Then go to your Finder, select Network, and your Network shares from other machines will show up there.

3) How do I access my right click context menus? Such as the inline spell checker in Firefox, the apple-click doesn't work? Control-Click.

4)I hear about upcoming Leopard release, will this be an upgrade you must buy or will it be distributed as a free fixpack to my current OS X, and when is it expected. You will have to purchase it separately.

Thanks
    in Advance, You're welcome!

Jessica

Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    also with question 3 ( the right click question ) if you have a mouse plugged in that has 2 buttons you can use that like any other 2 button mouse.

yep, you sure can. I have a razer copperhear, quality mouse for gaming but unknown to when I brought my mac, its not compatible. It still works for 2 buttons and scroll, but mouse button 4 and 5 (for forward and backwards internet browsing) doesn't work. On their site its not compatible, but I can live without the buttons on the side.... for now...

Thanks for all the quick feedback. One more question, I noticed that the charger brick gets really hot, is this normal?

Thanks
    Jess

what kind of mac do you have?

even my macbook's little block can get pretty warm when i'm really using it.

my old 17" HP laptops huge brick (which was, coincidentally enough, about the size and weight of the real thing) would get scaldingly hot.

btw, if you have a macbook (or mb pro), you can change the trackpad so a two finger tap acts as a context menu (right) click under the mouse/trackpad properties. also note that if you slide w/two fingers on the trackpad it can act like a multi-directional scroll (very slick).

Specs:
    Custom PC
    Also.. All of the "right click" features can be accessed through the Menu Bar at the top of the screen..

As for the power brick, the one for my G4 TiBook does get quite hot from time to time...

MacHeadCase
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Bimmer View Post

*Snip*

3) How do I access my right click context menus? Such as the inline spell checker in Firefox, the apple-click doesn't work?

*Snip*

Thanks
    in Advance,

Jessica
    If you don't have a multi-button mouse to use, just hold down the Control key as you click, this will make the contextual menu appear on any item.

Thread Information