New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

3D Studio Max On a Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lordviper

lordviper is on a distinguished road

hey guys,
ive done a search first!:dive:

basically i have a blackbook c2d, 2ghz, with 2gb ram and a 200gb hd.

im a lifelong windows user and crossed over this week, so sorry if i get any terms wrong.
im no expert but am fairly i.t competent.

ive got a 25gb vista partition and the rest is osx.
i also have parallels installed with xp mce.

now heres the problem.
i have 3ds max 9 installed on both windows installations.
but heres what it does.

in xp parallels, the viewports show my desktop and not my project!
in vista booctamp, the viewports kinda flash my project, and is pretty much un-usable.

now my question is, how do i get it to work?
ie. different install method maybe? crossovers?

ps- i need 3ds max NOT maya, so please dont try and sway me! lol!

thanks for any help provided guys.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordviper View Post
hey guys,
ive done a search first!:dive:
Switching to a Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordviper
ps- i need 3ds max NOT maya, so please dont try and sway me! lol!
3dsMax is a Windows only program. Maya is the Mac counterpart, both made by AutoDesk.
If you absolutely need 3dsMax, then a Mac is not for you. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Actually, Maya is not the only counterpart... it is the only COMMERCIAL counterpart. I know of Blender and PovRay which should work on Mac. (I know Blender does, as I have this installed, but I've never used PovRay)

Just thought I'd point this out. Only reason I've done the 3d program switch is because I'm trying to get more into the open-source world (I do renders on my Linux box), and very far away from the Windows world.

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Blender is a great app as well. I toy around with DAZ Studio myself (since it is free :black: )
I was only pointing out that the manufacturer of 3dsMax, AutoDesk, makes Maya for the Mac thereby making it AutoDesk's Macintosh counterpart for 3dsMax. I never meant to imply that it is the only alternative.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Technically Autodesk own Maya now but it's mainly been developed by Alias not Discreet or Autodesk. I've used both and Mac or not I much prefer 3ds max to Maya. And, if you're used to using a high-end application like 3ds max you really can't step down to Blender.

Other than gaming, 3D rendering is the one thing I'd still use Windows for, much better choice of applications.

On CGTalk, there were loads of 3ds max on Intel Mac success stories - try posting there, there are loads of experts at hand. You can have your cake and eat it. When Leopard is out I'm going to do my modelling on Boot Camp 3ds max and stick After Burner on my PCs to help out with the rendering.
QUOTE Thanks
lordviper

lordviper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuincy View Post
On CGTalk, there were loads of 3ds max on Intel Mac success stories - try posting there, there are loads of experts at hand. You can have your cake and eat it. When Leopard is out I'm going to do my modelling on Boot Camp 3ds max and stick After Burner on my PCs to help out with the rendering.
thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's obvious as to why a rendering program won't work in an emulation program like Parallels. However, the other problem you haven't figured out yet is whether 3D Studio is compatible with Vista yet. If not, that could be the reason as to why it won't work via Boot Camp.

I suggest searching Google for that answer. I'm betting that only way you'll get 3D Studio working on your Macbook is by installing Windows XP/MCE via BootCamp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Couple of switcher questions | Intro, maybe some advice »