New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Uggghhh...my buddy bought a Dell!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kjellquist

I was chatting with him and his wife last night and they said they were shopping for a new PC. I knew I only had minutes to convince them to stop, but I also knew it wasn't going to happen. They bought some Dell piece of crap that will certainly be dead and replaced in two years....ugghhh.

One of his comments;
"Dude, I don't want to launch the space shuttle..just need something that won't break."

Well duh...spend a few extra bucks and get a Mac...it works, it won't "break", and you won't be buying another $700 piece of crap in 2 years.

Even an eMac would serve his needs...man...

Just had to vent!!!
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjellquist
I was chatting with him and his wife last night and they said they were shopping for a new PC. I knew I only had minutes to convince them to stop, but I also knew it wasn't going to happen. They bought some Dell piece of crap that will certainly be dead and replaced in two years....ugghhh.

One of his comments;
"Dude, I don't want to launch the space shuttle..just need something that won't break."

Well duh...spend a few extra bucks and get a Mac...it works, it won't "break", and you won't be buying another $700 piece of crap in 2 years.

Just had to vent!!!
eh you cant save them all. Just have to make sure to show him all the wonderful features of your mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Shakermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiethang
eh you cant save them all. Just have to make sure to show him all the wonderful features of your mac.
I am all for Macs. I LOVE my PMG4 Digital Audio at home, but I use a Dell at work, and I say they are very good for PeeCees. If I had the money - I would buy another Mac, but if you have to use a PC make sure its a Dell.

My 2 cents
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakermaker
I am all for Macs. I LOVE my PMG4 Digital Audio at home, but I use a Dell at work, and I say they are very good for PeeCees. If I had the money - I would buy another Mac, but if you have to use a PC make sure its a Dell.

My 2 cents
i used to like dell machines, until you have to administer 45 of them that are about a year old. You would not believe how many parts of those 45 have been sent back to dell for replacement (lets say none of those 45 have all original parts), thats where my comments stem from.
QUOTE Thanks
kjellquist

He's actually had good experiences with Dell so there's really no reason for him to switch. I hated my Win2K box and that was the biggest reason for me...maybe if the Dell is a dud he will make the jump.
QUOTE Thanks
dziner

You can't save people from themselves.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Dell isn't that great...they're better than gateway...but the best pc out there is probably sony vio...though that's in laptops...if I were to have gotten a pc laptop...it would have been a vio..but they're extremely expensive...even more than macs for the most part...and not as powerful....dell is what a family who surfs the web and checks e-mail....and chats on AIM does...
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Apple

My parents bought a sony vaio. its not a mac but its much better than them having a big horrible box. Never had any trouble with it and it must be about two year old now.
QUOTE Thanks
spencerb

I know you are going to laugh but I loved my emachines laptop. It's the new series that came out last year, and that machine was flawless and very well designed! Emachines totally turned around a couple years ago after a management shakeout. A couple of weeks ago they were bought by Gateway, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I sold the laptop this week on ebay to help pay for my PB. I hated to see it go, but the PB is so much better!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

My opinion is that if you absolutely must have a PC, then you should just build it yourself.
Its relatively simple to do so, and can end up to be quite a bit cheaper than buying one from
someone like Gateway or Dell.
I have a 1.53 Ghz Athlon system I built for around $500 total, and it is only that high
because I spent some extra money on RAM and two optical drives (combo DVD/CD-RW drive and a faster CD-RW)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

D3v1L80Y: Not laptops, though.

*smack* that's for making me type out your name.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta
D3v1L80Y: Not laptops, though.
True, but if you must have a desktop PC, then building it
on your own is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta
*smack* that's for making me type out your name.

Yeah its a pain for me sometimes too,
I chose to use leet cus DevilBoy is almost always taken already
but admittedly I never checked before I used it here

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dante22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjellquist

One of his comments;

Just had to vent!!!
Even an EMAC. Watch out my mac is sensitive.
Is there a good return policy from the store they bought the Dell in or Dude, is it an 'as is' policy?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« my cdrws wont play | Previous MacWorlds/G4 Cube »