New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Just got a Mac and can't connect to wireless network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Baby Bimmer

Baby Bimmer is on a distinguished road

Hi All ,
I just received my macbook today (2Ghz/1G). I used to have a mac back in the days of the Performa series, but have since been in PC land. I am have a great deal of PC and networking experience, and even had the Apple support try to help me and they said if I was not using a Apple wireless router (airport) they could not help. It appears that all my settings are correct, but I just get the very unuseful error "There was an error joining the network "JMN"" This is after I enter my 128 Bit Hex WEP key. To add insult to injury even if I disable the security on my router I still get the same error. JMN is my wireless network, and my IBM Thinkpad and other systems connect just fine.

My router is an SMC (SMC2804WBRP-G)

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Jess
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Have you tried resetting your router? I know a friend of mine had this same router, and my TiBook had the same problem connecting to it if you weren't right beside it.

I've found that turning off your Airport via the menu bar, then turning it back on might help.. I'd try and change the type of encryption to something else and see if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

DavisCollins has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD

i had a feeling that when i got my macbook i was going to have a problem like this. so i went ahead and got the airport extreme. its deffinatly worth the 200 bucks
QUOTE Thanks
cvx5832

cvx5832 is on a distinguished road

You may have already tried this but i'll throw it out there anyway -

MAC filtering?
QUOTE Thanks
Baby Bimmer

Yeah, I tried just about everything with my router, including a full reset, and it just would not connect. I finally got really annoyed and wanted to rule out a defective airport card in the macbook, so I went to Starbuck where their have a hotspot, and I connected just fine. My next stop was Circuit City where I bought a $40 D-Link router (the only one that openly notates on their package that they support mac). Got home and everything is peachy
QUOTE Thanks
nymike

nymike is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem when I started with the Mac from a PC. In the router there are a few different options for WEP.I am not sure which one it is but it's in the security for wireless in my linksys router. You will see a drop down menu where WEP is, pick a different one and enter the passoword.

this worked for me.

Hope it helps
QUOTE Thanks
joshtpa

joshtpa is on a distinguished road

I have had no problems using the linksys wireless N router.
QUOTE Thanks
xavi3r

Just a question, I have 2 PC's and one mac in the house. The router (Linksys WRT54G) is connected to a PC. My buddy told me that if I wanna set up the mac with wireless access, I'm gonna need to hook up the router with the mac and set up the two PC's with adapters. Is this what I need to do? I would really like to keep the router installed with the PC. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Baby Bimmer

I have 4 PC's and my macbook all running together on the wireless network, and a few pc's wired too. All is good, but I did need to get a new router. I bought a D-Link , which is the only router that explicitly states on the box that it works with mac and pc.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i needed to switch to wpa to get my linksys to work with my mac. and then i still had a little trouble until i figured out i couldn't enter the key with lower case letters...

i'm sure if i had spent a bit more time on it i could have gotten wep to work, but the wpa works just fine with my macbook and my wife's hp laptop accessing it at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

I have two routers, currently my Imac (this machine) is hooked with a wire to Dlink router which gets me into the net. The Dlink is also connected to a Linux box which has two network cards in it one hooks to the net, the second shares files between the linux box and my Imac.

My airport on my Imac connects through a Linksys wireless router to my Xp machine which also uses the wireless router to connect to the net.

I dont think it matters what brand of router is used or at the very least I know both Linksys and DLink work.
QUOTE Thanks
xavi3r

Im a mac noob, so bear with me. Im guessing I need to buy an airport card for my mac? I read somewhere that Apple stopped selling airport cards though.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi3r View Post
Im a mac noob, so bear with me. Im guessing I need to buy an airport card for my mac? I read somewhere that Apple stopped selling airport cards though.

what kind of mac is it? if it's a macbook or macbook pro, then no, it's built in.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

FWIW, this process can be easy if you're lucky, I guess. When I first turned on my new MBP, during the registration/startup process it asked for the WEP key and within moments I was on the network at my house. Router is a Belkin.

With about half an hour's worth of work -- and the help of a Max OS X for Switchers books -- I set my Dell and HP notebooks up in a Workgroup through XP, and both computers' files are visible to my Mac now.
QUOTE Thanks
xavi3r

Its an iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need help with scanning photos with hp printer | Right Click Question »