New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Not sure which one

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tereno

Tereno is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I've thought long and hard. Well actually, just the entire day, and I am contemplating purchase a Mac. I'm not sure which Macbook to purchase though, the Macbook or the Macbook Pro either new or refurb.

I'm guessing that the Macbook is pretty light since it has a small screen but I'm wondering how good is the notebook when dealing with graphic design and such? Is the Macbook Pro significantly better? Also, is the Core 2 Duo cooler than the Core Duo? And should I wait OX Leopard and a better price or do you think Boxing Day there's going to be some great prices?

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

MacWorld is on January 8th; I'm waiting to see what's announced there (if anything) before buying a new iMac.

I saw Macbooks in an Apple store recently. They looked and felt a bit cheap to me. The Macbook Pro, however, is a sculpture in aluminium. If you can afford it, certainly get the latter.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

I asked a similar question and was assured that Mac prices would not drop after Christmas.

If you're doing design go for the Pro any day.
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

id go with the macbook instead of the pro. its cheaper and is just as fast. the aluminum case on the macbook pro can scratch and dent easily, while the macbook cannot get dents and dings, only surface scratches that you can't even see if you have a white case.

white Macbook 1.83 GHz Core Duo/ 2 GB ram/ 60 GB HDD/ Wireless bluetooth mouse/ JBL Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
Tereno

Tereno is on a distinguished road

I see. Another thing I'm considering is waiting for Leopard to be out before making my purchase. Would that make any sense to you guys?

Definitely don't like the Integrated Intel GPU on the Macbook but the price for the Macbook Pro in Canada is at $2000 ++. So there's definitely one factor I'm taking into account.

I'll be leaving the gaming and probably the 3d work to the desktop. Guess this means that a Macbook is sufficient?
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

DavisCollins has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tereno View Post
I see. Another thing I'm considering is waiting for Leopard to be out before making my purchase. Would that make any sense to you guys?

Definitely don't like the Integrated Intel GPU on the Macbook but the price for the Macbook Pro in Canada is at $2000 ++. So there's definitely one factor I'm taking into account.

I'll be leaving the gaming and probably the 3d work to the desktop. Guess this means that a Macbook is sufficient?
sounds great to me. just add some extra RAM to make up for the part that the GPU steals. that should boost the speed alot. my MacBook has 2GB and it is SCREAMING fast.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac or mini in the Living Room for a newbie? | What exactly is Quicksilver? »