New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is it really that easy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sachsr1

Sachsr1 has a spectacular aura about

Looking at the apple website the video demos on iLife make it look to easy to make DVD's, podcast, and iWeb. Is it really as just that easy or are the videos just good commercials?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Well, basic videos are really easy to make. The software interfaces are intuitive and treate to your eyes Here are some tutorials.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachsr1 View Post
Looking at the apple website the video demos on iLife make it look to easy to make DVD's, podcast, and iWeb. Is it really as just that easy or are the videos just good commercials?
Its that easy. mac is basically drag and drop when it comes to most things..

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

It is easy. The only thing about it is that since it is made very simple, any advanced functionality is either limitied or pretty well "hidden". While iMovie handles exports and many visual effects very nicely, it e.g. lacks the ability to add more than 2 audio tracks to a video. Granted, for home use that's unnecessary, but I needed it once and had to go through a rather painful process to make it work (I used Garageband Movie Soundtrack feature).

So basically, yeah, it's **** simple. And it's chock full with features. It just needs some getting used to in terms of how these Apps behave. Like where they store stuff. You should never, and mean never, bother much about how iPhoto stores pictures. Just let it do it's thing and use the interface.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Sachsr1

I guess I've been using PC's so long I can't believe it's easy to do the actual task. I'm use to having to get the computer ready to handle the task
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachsr1 View Post
I guess I've been using PC's so long I can't believe it's easy to do the actual task. I'm use to having to get the computer ready to handle the task
Just about everything that you do on a Mac is so easy, that you have to actually 'think simple' when transitioning from a PC to a Mac. My wife had no trouble dealing with the, uh, easierness of a Mac vs. her old PC, but I found myself in a lot of "wait, it can't be that easy" moments when acclimating to the Mac way of doing things. I haven't done any video stuff (but a lot of audio stuff) with my Mac as yet, but I am sure that once I do it'll be just as easy as advertized.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I just switched to MAc and just made my first DVD yesterday. Without looking at any instruction I was able to make a DVD with a main menu with music and menu and a couple videos without a problem. It was pretty basic, but for just opening up the program for the first time and doing it, it was pretty cool.

I am worried when I want to get into more detailed projects and having trouble as someone else had mentioned. I also have a problem not know where my files are located too.
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

Yes it is really that easy, I do it all the time. And I've been using these things since long before 'i' applications ever existed.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Yeah it's like IKEA's German slogan (stop "housing" and start living)... stop thinking and start working.

I really don't care a **** where iPhoto puts my photos, or iTunes my music. I'm just so pleased. I'd love to see a video manager for Mac though, like iTunes for videos, because iTunes itself is rather crappy and doesn't hold AVIs.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

meagain is on a distinguished road

IDK - I've had mine a month now and am not finding it easy. There are no manuals/instruction that come with it so you must go to the support site, search around for the answer, and either sit there & read, or print it out. I'm going to have to buy a book.

I'm still trying to figure out how to refresh my screen/window without mousing up to the icon. I have a litany of various irritations like not being able to resize a window via dragging a bar - one must mouse click on ONE teensy tiny little corner. Stuff like that. Good luck.

(Edit: Apple R) LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Sachsr1

So I'm at 2 weeks and counting till I pull the trigger on my iMac. I'm gonna wait till after the keynote at Macworld, I'm not expecting anything big, but I think it's smart to wait two more weeks. I found the answer to my original question on this thread. I went to the apple store this weekend and in less then 1 hour i put together two quick movies in iMovie (you won't see them at the Oscars), 2 quick websites in iWeb, and a little song in garageband. Nothing great, but my combined time on a mac before this trip was 15 minutes. I also have been listening to a podcast called ilifezone's podcast, and even though I don't own a Mac or iLife it's simple enough I can follow along with what they are talking about. I can't wait till the 9th so I know what Jobs has planned.
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
IDK - I've had mine a month now and am not finding it easy. There are no manuals/instruction that come with it so you must go to the support site, search around for the answer, and either sit there & read, or print it out. I'm going to have to buy a book.

I'm still trying to figure out how to refresh my screen/window without mousing up to the icon. I have a litany of various irritations like not being able to resize a window via dragging a bar - one must mouse click on ONE teensy tiny little corner. Stuff like that. Good luck.

(Edit: Apple R) LOL
Have you tried looking at the top of the screen where it says "Help"? Taken a look there quite often, and been able to find about 95% of what i need to know. (Not intended to sound condescending, but it's hard to say that through text without it coming out like that)

Anyways, I agree that it is easy as heck. I wanted to make a DVD with some photos and videos. Took me about an hour and a half to go through the photos I wanted, modify them (Color balance, exposure, etc), plop them into iDVD, set it all up there, and be done. The ony thing that was a pain was lining up menu items in iDVD, as it wanted them in a 2x2 "Grid" when I wanted them in a straight line. Took some working with underscores to set it right. Also, couldn't move the Back arrow, but I worked around it.

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My new Macbook!! | file sharing on a mac »