New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What exactly is Quicksilver?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dadude1083

dadude1083 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x

I noticed it in the starters guide, in the thread created by "Eric", but there was no description about what it was. It was made out to be the end all, be all program, so I am interested.

-Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Its basically a launcher program. If you have ever used Spotlight to search for a program to open it up then you know that it is not exactly instantaneous. With QuickSilver if I want to open up google earth I hit my hot key (Ctrl + Space) and just start typing google earth. It finds things instantly even if you miss a key in the spelling. You can also install plugins for search engines and individual programs to control them via hotkeys. I use imdb a ton but rather then go up to the address bar to type imdb and then search I just hit Ctrl + Space, type imdb, the imdb search icon appears in quicksilvers gui, I hit enter, type what I want to look for and as soon as I hit enter it will either create a new tab if my browser is open, or open my browser and do the search.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

like tprnmonkey41 said, quicksilver is an app, file, anything launcher. i don't know if i could live without it now that im so used to useing it, i never have to open finder and go to applications or anything, i love it.

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Best thing to do is go to the website, Google and read up on it. It's a bit like Automator, in that you have to decide what you want it to do rather than it offer you a list of tasks it can perform.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Yea QuickSilver is defiantly an App every Mac needs...

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

would love it if apple includes it in leopard as part of the os. I like when apple makes things part of osx that they tend to make it better, I think quicksilver with apples touch would really make the operating system like that much better.

other then that, I use quicksilver al the time, and could not live with out it.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dadude1083

dadude1083 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x

I don't have a Mac yet, so I can't really grasp what you mean. I will be sure to download it though!
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

How much system resources does Quicksilver take up? I've been using it for a while and have noticed a slight dip in performance.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

on my computer 15mb ram and 0% or cpu when not being used.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

i heard it will run on g4's not g3's though.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Isnt there a power mac g4 quicksilver model?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

QuickSilver is such a great app. and one of my favourites. It is free, frequent updates and improvements, tons of plugins. You can't ask for more..
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
on my computer 15mb ram and 0% or cpu when not being used.
Mine is at around 30mb memory because I have a ton of plugins and customized skin

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
would love it if apple includes it in leopard as part of the os. I like when apple makes things part of osx that they tend to make it better, I think quicksilver with apples touch would really make the operating system like that much better.

other then that, I use quicksilver al the time, and could not live with out it.
Apple will be modifying Spotlight in Leopard, to allow for a faster application launching system, just like Quicksilver. Ask and ye shall receive!

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
McBayne

McBayne is on a distinguished road

n00b question - I just d/led quicksilver and like what I can do with it, it seems like i will be able to function w/o having to go to my apps in the dock. but how do I get it so i can open it w/ the hot keys and whatnot? I've been fiddling around and haven't found a good solution. I haven't really learner how to work those, sans the spotlight one. which I used to open quicksilver, go figure

also, what advantages does quicksilver have over spotlight? i know there have to be some since the people here seem to think its a necessity

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not sure which one | Looking for opinions »