New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Question - works/word for apple!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CaptainStandish

hey guys whats up? So far everybody has given me great help on my questions. this time it's about apple works.
I'm a frequent script writer and make my own storyboards in microsoft word at school. To do this you need to make tables, but when i finally went into works today to see if this would work, whenever my table comes to the bottom of the page it doesn't continue on. Do i just have to page break and insert another table (in MS word it would just keep creating new ones as you went along etc...) I'm wondering because I do a lot of writing and script formatting is important. If anybody does this also and could give me some times or another works/word lke application I could use for mac that is better than what comes built in would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time!
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

get office for mac.
its even better then windows analogue.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainStandish

what about open office, what is that like?
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

i dont know this app
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Open office is basically Office, only free, and buggy, and not quite as good looking.
openoffice.org
QUOTE Thanks
shadov

The current OpenOffice version available for mac is old (1.0.3 I think) and the port is still in beta testing. It is mainly targeted for Unix savvy people who like to experiment with it. GUI integration with aqua isn't as good as it could be (runs under X11). Unfortunately the project doesn't seem to be advancing at all (or is advancing very slowly).

I'm using version 1.1.0 on my Linux desktop and I'm very pleased with it. It looks better than 1.0 series. Most bugs have been ironed out and start up time has been reduced to tolerable level. It's sad that OS X port is so badly lagging behind Linux and Windows versions.

There are projects for porting popular Linux/Unix GUI libraries (GTK+ and QT) to run directly under OS X's graphics engine. That would allow easy porting of KOffice office suite and other Linux apps to mac.

I'd still assume we won't see a free production quality office for mac until year '05 or '06.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1st Major Switch - Software Required | 2.5 Ghz G5? »