New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help with iChat/AIM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

colormeandrew

colormeandrew is on a distinguished road

Hi all!

My name is Andrew and I just made the switch from an HP to an iMac this week.

There is one thing that I haven't been able to figure out yet though. A friend hooked me up with Adium and that works well, but I can't seem to figure out iChat.

When I open iChat up there is no option for logging into AIM. It's there it's just grey and won't let me click on it.

Can someone help me? And Im not sure if I'm just totally clueless or if Adium is somehow interfering with it.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

you dont have to use ichat. you can download AIM for mac which is closer to what your used to. ohh btw good job switching from hp to an imac cause hp is garbage (not printers just pcs)
QUOTE Thanks
colormeandrew

Haha forgot to mention that I already downloaded AIM but its the most unstable thing in the world.

First of all..it loses connections constantly and then sometimes it freezes up. Didn't even think that could happen on a mac.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacmatt09 View Post
you dont have to use ichat. you can download AIM for mac which is closer to what your used to. ohh btw good job switching from hp to an imac cause hp is garbage (not printers just pcs)
HORRIBLE advice. AIM hasn't been updated on the Mac in years, and it almost constantly crashes on Intel Macs. In AOL's eyes, iChat is the official Mac AIM client.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colormeandrew View Post
Hi all!

My name is Andrew and I just made the switch from an HP to an iMac this week.

There is one thing that I haven't been able to figure out yet though. A friend hooked me up with Adium and that works well, but I can't seem to figure out iChat.

When I open iChat up there is no option for logging into AIM. It's there it's just grey and won't let me click on it.

Can someone help me? And Im not sure if I'm just totally clueless or if Adium is somehow interfering with it.
Did you create an account in the iChat preferences? If so, can you take a screenshot of what you're looking at?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
HORRIBLE advice. AIM hasn't been updated on the Mac in years, and it almost constantly crashes on Intel Macs. In AOL's eyes, iChat is the official Mac AIM client.
yes i know that it hasnt had a new version in forever and is not written for intel but it is working fine for me when i use it (few times a week). i wish they would come out with a new version just like the windows version cause that version is pretty good but they probably wont but yeah your advice is always better.
QUOTE Thanks
colormeandrew

Haha nah that was the problem...I didn't have an AIM account setup in preferences! I promise Im not retarded..just a little new!

Thanks though!
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

IMO AIM for Mac is really bad. If you want to add AIM account to iChat please follow the steps below.
1) Open iChat and goto preferences
2) Goto Accounts tab
3) Click on + button
4) Select AIM Account as the account type and fillout the required info.
That should be it.
QUOTE Thanks
synthemesc

synthemesc is on a distinguished road

ive never been able to connect using ichat... i always get a "connection error" problem... anyone know why?
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

im not even gonna try and help cause i be told im wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

you said you tried adium and liked it...
why use ichat then? for the video, or just to try it out?

not trying to flame, just honestly curious - since i downloaded adium (on the advice of people here), i haven't even thought of opening ichat...
QUOTE Thanks
middigit

middigit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
you said you tried adium and liked it...
why use ichat then? for the video, or just to try it out?

not trying to flame, just honestly curious - since i downloaded adium (on the advice of people here), i haven't even thought of opening ichat...
I would take aguess at the fact it handles AIM much better - Adium can't open chatrooms
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Maybe this site can be of help? iChat FAQs. It has a lot of info and troubleshooting tips.

Hope this helps. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back software on budget | More Mac questions for the rook (Activity Monitor) »