New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac Shocks me

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nate

Nate will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram

My iMac will shock me about 3 times a day all at a different time, usually when I leave my computer. Does anyone know why and how to stop it?

Thanks,
Nate

I am a MacMan! Go Mac! My favorite football teams are the Chargers and the Macs!

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Are you serious? Like a static shock?
QUOTE Thanks
Nate

Mac Specs: 20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram

Yes, like a static shock, like on a slide.

I am a MacMan! Go Mac! My favorite football teams are the Chargers and the Macs!

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

What part of it shocks you?
QUOTE Thanks
Nate

Once in the mouse, and twice in the keyboard

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Do you have carpet in this room? Is your chair plastic? Do you get shocked on anything else during the day?
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Quit petting your cat while using the computer. Also, it might be smart to trade your sweater-suit and underwear for something a little less conductive.

Let me know if this doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i was going to ask the same thing, do you get shocked on anything else normally... doorknob, dresser hardware, tv, etc.

do you wear courderoy? how's the humidity in the room? been watching x-files reruns lately? :-p
QUOTE Thanks
Nate

Just my computer I get shocked on. And I didn't pet a animal lol while using it.
My Chair is leather and plasic. I hate X-Files (lol) and what does underwear have to do with anything? lol

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

the plastic of your hair can generate static and if there is carpet and you wear socks it can to. It has to be something like that cause im sure your keyboard and mouse are fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

I think the computer just happens to be what is grounding static already built up in you. And you just aren't grounding to anything else.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
My iMac will shock me about 3 times a day all at a different time, usually when I leave my computer. Does anyone know why and how to stop it?

Thanks,
Nate
is it possible you just have an electric personality?

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

do you have the imac on a good quality power strip?

what's your desk made out of?
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
do you have the imac on a good quality power strip?

what's your desk made out of?
its his keyboard and mouse that are shocking him. they may be bluetooth so i dont think its the powerstrip but its possible?
QUOTE Thanks
Nate

I have my computer hooked up to a pretty good power strip, but I think what it is is that a few people said its from my carpet and my socks, well now that I think about it, everytime it happened I just had socks on. Thank you everyone for your help!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« on the edge of switching | Thinking very hard about switching to mb/mbp »