New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MS Publisher on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JREwing

JREwing is on a distinguished road

We have another person who creates documents for our company and sends them to me on MS Publisher. Is there a program I can switch her to that will work on both her PC and my Mac? She basically creates the program and I edit it and print.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

There is no equivalent product to Microsoft Publisher on the Mac, nor is there a package that will allow you to edit and save Publisher-formatted files.

This is one of those things that keeps a PC on my fiancee's desk, much to her dismay.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREwing View Post
We have another person who creates documents for our company and sends them to me on MS Publisher. Is there a program I can switch her to that will work on both her PC and my Mac? She basically creates the program and I edit it and print.
It's incredible that any professional would use MS Publisher, and that's not just me MS bashing, it's just truly shocking. Publisher, along with Frontpage, are two MS programmes that should not be in any office or workspace.

Anyway, there are workarounds by the looks of things.

For InDesign

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332767.html

For Pagemaker 7

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329434.html

There are others too. The person saving the MS Publisher document should save a version that is compatible with other programmes.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
JREwing

JREwing is on a distinguished road

Zoolook, I agree with you 100%. That's why I'm trying to find a program she can put on her pc and then I can open it on my Mac. I just switched to Mac and I won't go back to those crappy programs from Microsoft.
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

What is it that she is developing for you. Publisher can save in many formats. It's just a matter of which one works for you. To me publisher looks like a glorified Word, with allot of templates, for people who don't actually know how to use Word. And she could save to Word, which you can open with Pages. Or save as a web-page. Do you just want to view it. Or do you want to be able to edit it? And do you need to be able to print it yourself?

And like the others said PageMaker can convert it. I would recommend all of you getting and using Adobe CS2. I use it, and I don't know why any professional wouldn't.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I would recommend all of you getting and using Adobe CS2. I use it, and I don't know why any professional wouldn't.
I second that. A professional office should be using professional software.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding more RAM | Blackberry sync - anyone found a solution »