New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can't Manage Emails - No Folders for Mail? Need alternative.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

meagain

meagain is on a distinguished road

I've had my iMac about 2+ weeks now and am struggling with running my business on it. My first problem is Mail. I used the plugin to load my hotmails and they work, but I need to create about 4 folders for each hotmail.

What I can't seem to do:

1. There is only ONE separate "Sent" folder for all email addresses. I need "sent" folders under each address.
2. I need to put folders under each email address. Need to create folders for "paid" "problems", etc. for each email and store them. I'm currently dumping everything I need to save into "drafts" of which there is only ONE.
3. Basically, I need a simple email program that's as similar to Outlook Express as possible. I just checked out Thunderbird but I only see support for POP and IMAP. Not Hotmail.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? IDK about Entourage, but I think I need to buy Office to get it and I don't think I need all that (tho' Google spreadsheets sucks in it's slowness).
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Create smart mailboxes. Click mailbox/new smart mailbox, then set the rules as required. You can specify messages sent, recieved, include from Trash...

Bear in mind, though, that these messages will not actually reside in these folders, there only there virtually.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

I'm not sure what that's supposed to do for me. It looks like a message rule and creates a folder that's not under the particular email account. It sits about 4" down the page.

I want to manually dump emails into their various folders. I just want to create folders for my email accounts. Not rules.
AND - If I create a detached folder such as "paid" to save these emails - it won't let me drag the email into that folder. Weird.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

OK, just trying to help. If you just want to drag messages to particular folders, just create the folders.

It won't let you drag a message to a smart folder because the messages AUTOMATICALLY appear in the smart folder based on the rules you've set.

It might take a while to set the rules, but you'll save heaps of time in the long term because you won't have to do any dragging and dropping.

Still, it's your life, your business. What do I know?

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

I cannot make rules for every potential oddball email.
Obviously 'Mail' is never going to work for me.

I checked out Thunderbird and cannot figure out how to get hotmails to work on it. Does anyone know if Entourage would act like Outlook Express and allow folders to be created under each hotmail? And allow dragging of mail to those folders?
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

Have you looked at other mail programs? I use Thunderbird - it has multi-account capability with what you appear to be looking for (each account can have its own sent, trash, inbox, user-created folders, etc)

update: since you and I posted at the same time, I didn't see your comment about Thunderbird. If hotmail allows for pop or imap access, it should work ok. I don't see why Mail.app would allow you to access hotmail and not Thunderbird (technologically speaking, that is).
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

I loaded some special thing to make hotmail work on t-bird, but it's not working. Says 'cannot connect to local server host. The connection was refused'. Oh god I regret my decision. Nothing works.
Yes, I'd love to find the proper program. I loved Outlook Express. It was perfect.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Try this. Note: mailbox = a folder

Create a new mailbox. Name it. Highlight that mailbox in the sidebar. Create another new mailbox. Name it. A triangle will appear next to the first mailbox - clicking this reveals all the mailboxes within that mailbox. You can create as many as you like, and drag/drop to your heart's content.

If this isn't what you want, I'm misunderstanding you.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
I loaded some special thing to make hotmail work on t-bird, but it's not working. Says 'cannot connect to local server host. The connection was refused'. Oh god I regret my decision. Nothing works.
Yes, I'd love to find the proper program. I loved Outlook Express. It was perfect.
Go here then;

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...nosysreq=False
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

Liam - It says Outlook is only for 10.2 or earlier. I have 10.4.8.

Martin - Are you saying to create mailboxes but USE them as folders?
In Mail, I have "Inbox" with a triangle. Under which is all my accounts. I'd love to separate them all so basically they have their own triangle deal, but IDK. Maybe I don't have mail set up correctly?
QUOTE Thanks
Adam

Adam will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4

I have it set up how you want. It's just what it did when I had more than one account! Under sent I had two mailboxes for each account, same under trash, inbox, etc. I just then created my own folders account 1, account 2, etc and have countless sub fodlers which I drag and drop to.
Ad
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Yes. Mailboxes are just folders. Just create your own mailboxes, and mailboxes within mailboxes.

Don't panic. You'll get there in a minute.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

Oh boy.

OK, I have purple folders that are useless. I'm going to delete them.
I have what appears to be a black/grey CD icon with an @ sign in it next to each email account. I can make folders inside them. I can drag emails to them. This works.

My screen looks thus:

1. At the top: Inbox (with triangle) with all my emails under that inbox. I cannot add subfolders to the individual emails.
2. Under that: Drafts
3. Sent - with emails listed under this.
4. Trash - with emails listed under this.
5. A bunch of useless purple folders that I'm going to nuke.
6. Dark circle icons with @ signs for each mail acct. These have triangles. I can create folders under these.

It sure isn't pretty. So is this the only way to do it in Mail? Do I have it right? I wish I could have each email act as it's own 'inbox' with the subfolders under it, but I can't even get the trial of Entourage to work so LOL. Course, now I can't even open Entourage despite it sitting in the dock.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

What I would do is open a new mailbox for each mail you require. The folder name can be the email address, so your subfolders can be "paid" "problems", etc.

I think you have smart mailboxes, which it seems you don't want.

Click in the pale blue sidebar to the left.
On the menubar at the top, click mailboxes, and select new mailbox. (NOT new smart mailbox)
Name it.
A blue folder should appear in the sidebar with this name.
Highlight that new folder.
On the menubar at the top, click mailboxes, and select new mailbox.
Repeat as necessary.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

Martin - I'm utterly beside myself at this point. Losing it. I'll go try the above now. Meanwhile, darned Entourage test drive won't let me type in a password for any account. It wants me to but when I click on the box to type - nothing happens. IDK if 'test drive' won't allow this or it's just yet another of the zillions of bugs I've stumbled across in most everything I try to do in my new Mac. But I hope I can get Mail working nicely enough first. I'm actually physically ill at this point. LOL! I'm serious.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« custom hot keys? | Dmg files »