New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Installing downloads - no really... please dont laugh... too hard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bluewolf

I recently downloaded a few programs from the Internet namely MSN (from the peanut gallery Boo Hiss!!), and ICQ, or something similar to it thereof. The stuffed files when downloaded automatically unstuffs themselves and opened into these white things.

On double clicking on the white thing I follow the procedures for installing the thing in the white thing. However once I am finished I cannot bin the stuffed file or the unstuffed one. I believe this is because the program I downloaded is operating from the white thing.

Another program that I have and havent installed is VLC - the non Microsoft ,wmv player. That I believe is also operating from the white thing.

How do I install something so it is in my system and in my dock?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you reboot there system the white things are you call it will disappear. Once you install the application or programs, just drag the white thing to the trash to un-mount them. If you look in the Application folder (in most cases) on your OS X, you should find the application or program you just installed.

What I don't understand is "I cannot bin the stuffed file or the unstuffed one"?

As for placing an application on the dock. Once you have found it in the Applicaqtion folder. just drag and drop it where you want it on the dock. A copy (pointer) of application or program will be displayed on the dock.
QUOTE Thanks
EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

Well, it is an application, Like VLC; all you have to do is drag the application icon or folder to your applications folder. This Folder can be found under your computer disk. Just double click your system disk and then click on the applications folder shortcut to the botom left. Hmm.. then you'll be able to close the virtual disk. You can do that by right clicking or apple click (i think) and choose eject. from then on, you'll be able to delete your file. I'm sure someone else will clarify, or correct my errors. Hope that helps.

EY

PowerBook G4. iLove it.
QUOTE Thanks
EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

Dang it, Rman beat me to it. Soo close.

PowerBook G4. iLove it.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYPUFF
Dang it, Rman beat me to it. Soo close.
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
What I don't understand is "I cannot bin the stuffed file or the unstuffed one"?
Seeing as he's from the UK, I'm going to assume he means he can't throw them away (delete 'em.)
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

I think I now know what to do... I think...

To install a program from the internet I take the files out from the mounted white thing and place them into a sperate folder on my HD.

This has worked with MSN. I deleted the old file within the MS Office sub-folder and replaced it with the new file I got from the white thing. I then placed a copy of the icon into my dock. This has resulted in MSN messenger working correctly.

With VLC I have taken all the files from the white thing and placed them into a folder within my applications. VLC should now work when I download and attempt to play .wmv files?

And as for the ICQescque programs they are simply too confusing for me. I have no idea how to operate Icy Juice so I think I will have to revert to the ICQ, from ICQ.com

Cheers for the help and advice in regards to what may be seen as a simple matter.

P.S. The bin is the waste paper basket, otherwise known as a trash can.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Thanks gang for help me to understand. I thought he was trying to execute something.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
With VLC I have taken all the files from the white thing and placed them into a folder within my applications. VLC should now work when I download and attempt to play .wmv files?
You'll have to change file associations to get that to work... it's easy. Right-click/control-click on the WMV file, Open With -> Other...
Then go find VLC, make sure "Always Open With" is checked, and hit choose.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta
You'll have to change file associations to get that to work... it's easy. Right-click/control-click on the WMV file, Open With -> Other...
Then go find VLC, make sure "Always Open With" is checked, and hit choose.
I'm guessing you do the above on a .wmv file. If so I will do when I need to next play a .wmv file.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Huge Chat!!!! | New Switcher...kind of went all out »