New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Printer Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

solidgold5

solidgold5 is on a distinguished road

I just got my new MBP and so far I love it. One problem however is that I cannot print. I went through all of the steps (downloaded OS X driver from printer CD, followed directions ect...) and it says that the printer is connected and it even says printing but nothing ever actually prints. The printer is an HP Deskjet 6840 and it is wired into my wireless router. I had it working this way with my other Dell laptop just fine. I could walk around the house and print. I do not know what the problem is. And btw I tried printing on my desktop and that worked just fine, so it is not the printer.
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Connor
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

If you have added the printer to your Windows computers (assuming that is what you meant when you referred to the desktop) then I would suggest creating a Workgroup and adding the Mac to that Windows workgroup. I have found this to be the easiest way of adding Windows printers via share to my Mac.

Here is a link you might find helpful in accomplishing this: It is very simple to add a Mac to a Windows workgroup--and this would allow you to connect to the printer very easily. Here is a link to help you out if you choose to go that route:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...5-6103719.html

On a side note: do you know if the router gives the printer a static IP address? If so, you could simply take the IP address of the printer and add it manually in printer setup.

Best of luck!

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
solidgold5

solidgold5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastor View Post
If you have added the printer to your Windows computers (assuming that is what you meant when you referred to the desktop) then I would suggest creating a Workgroup and adding the Mac to that Windows workgroup. I have found this to be the easiest way of adding Windows printers via share to my Mac.

Here is a link you might find helpful in accomplishing this: It is very simple to add a Mac to a Windows workgroup--and this would allow you to connect to the printer very easily. Here is a link to help you out if you choose to go that route:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...5-6103719.html

On a side note: do you know if the router gives the printer a static IP address? If so, you could simply take the IP address of the printer and add it manually in printer setup.

Best of luck!
Yes, when I said desktop i did mean windows. I suppose I should have been more specific. I will look into the workgroup solution however I am getting rid of my windows soon, so I do not think that is the way to go. I think the router does assign static IP addresses, I will make sure tomarrow. Thank you very much I will try it all ASAP.
Connor
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

Your link didn't work, but here is the one I think you were trying to link to:

How to add Mac to Windows Workgroup
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jamo--didn't realize I had screwed up the link. Thanks!

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to find which version of OS X your using | Printer without mac drivers »