New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hardware Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Daemian

Daemian is an unknown at this point

Hello all, I am looking into buying a second hand G4 733 system. However, it only comes with a 40gig HDD and I plan to do video editing with it, so that will not do. My question is: can you stick any hard drive in the puppies, or do u have to buy specific ones that are compatible with macs. And what about disk drives? I know the g4 comes with a dvd burner, but im guessing not dual layer. can u put any dvd burner into it? thanks guys!

-Daem
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I assume it's a PowerMac G4? In that case, any 3.5" IDE hard disk should work up to 128GB. There is a limitation in the PowerMac G4 IDE controller that limits the maximum size to 128GB, although if you buy a Mac compatible PCI IDE controller (Sonnet do one, but it's not cheap) you can use any sized new drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Daemian

yes you are correct that it is a powermac. so you are saying i can slap in any ide HDD, just nothing mare than 128 gig? would it be ok if I were to leave the 40 gig original hdd, and install 128 gig as a slave?
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

if i remember correctly, that is what i did when i installed an 80 gig to suppliment the 10 gig that came with it.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
Daemian

cool, cool

and what of the dvd burner question?

<stands up> Hello, My name is Mike and I have been abused by a PC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I make my own CD? | NTFS Write Support »