New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What corresponds to Microsoft Word on the iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dead of night

dead of night is on a distinguished road

Hi. Say I want to write an essay or a report. What application do I use on my new iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

you can get microsoft office MAC version
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Or, if you're looking for a free alternative, try NeoOffice.

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
JDann24

JDann24 is on a distinguished road

or try iwork06
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead of night View Post
Hi. Say I want to write an essay or a report. What application do I use on my new iMac?
Pages is also a good one.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

DavisCollins has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodorsean View Post
Pages is also a good one.
Pages works like a DREAM! I do not know what i would do without it. I would definatly recommed for you to buy iWork '06 (or wait for iWork '07 this january) instead of Office for Mac.

Office runs kind of slow under Rosetta. It takes about fifteen bounces on the dock to open Word. Pages opens in a blink.

Definatly get iWork '06 or '07.

If you dont want to pay, I have heard NeoOffice is great.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

iWorks 07 !!! Do tell more . I was just about to pick up the tab and buy my free trail when I read this should I hold off ??

Ps I love Pages 2
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I think Davis is going on the (pretty safe) assumption that a new edition of iWork will be released in January, since '05 and '06 were announced in January of their respective years.

Pages is a nice package, but highly impractical as a general word processor.

I've created neat brochures and great looking resumes using Pages, but for everyday word processing I prefer to stick with Word: it's much simpler and has the formatting features I'm admittedly used to from using Word on Windows.

And for what it's worth, I just clicked the Word icon on my MacBook (Core Duo, 2 GHz, 2 GB memory) and the program came up in two "icon bounces." Pages came up in five.
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

i enjoy using pages and MS Office, but i guess i am more used to office than pages. i tried using pages exclusively when i first got my iMac, but for some reason it does not format well when bouncing between the two. things saved in pages as a .doc did not come out quite right in word.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

Marl Huss will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

I use the Windows version of Microsoft Office running on Crossover for Mac. However I will be buying Mac Office 2007 once it comes out, as long as it has the ribbon interface.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl Huss View Post
I use the Windows version of Microsoft Office running on Crossover for Mac. However I will be buying Mac Office 2007 once it comes out, as long as it has the ribbon interface.
You actually like that? I hated it!

I understand that a more 'OS X' styled Office is due for the Mac.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

For my dissertation I used OpenOffice.org. I don't have (and don't want, tbh) an MS Office license and Word irritates me, and although I would have _loved_ to use pages, it has no outlining functions or anything; only the most basic of auto-numbering. If you're writing stuff for college, Pages may not be up your alley at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Can someone tell me was there an Upgrade from iWorks 05 to 06 or were you forced to buy a whole new package ?
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

It's what we call a "forklift upgrade." You have to buy the whole package.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

At 79$ and Apple's rather steep increment in features (especially templates) I guess it's worth it.

Office sells at some exorbitant price of 400$ so Upgrades make sense or people won't swallow it anymore.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "F" & Shortcut Keys | Printer Problems »