New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Lifespan of laptops

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Buckeye_K

Hi, I am looking at purchasing my first macbook pro. I have always used dell laptops/desktops and the lifespan is usually about 3-4 years before you start to notice slow downs, freezing, etc. Do the macbooks have similar lifespans? I am concerned about the cost if the laptop is only viable or 3-4 years. Any info would be appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Quruli

My last ibook was 4 years old when I sold it and it still ran the newest OS and had non freezes. The only reason I sold it was to help pa for my MacBook Pro. Hopefully the MacBook Pro will be longer.
QUOTE Thanks
code guru

code guru is on a distinguished road

my old ibook g4 i had 2 years on 24/7 and i only had 2 replace the hdd and battery once and its still going well with no problems. i sware its faster than my macbook
QUOTE Thanks
JDann24

JDann24 is on a distinguished road

not if sure if i can directly answer your question correctly, because i've only had my ibook for 5 months, but I see a lot of older G3 and older G4 models on ebay and on computergeeks.com.
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

The people I know who have laptops (PC's) use them for work. All of them upgrade about every two years because "....they more or less start falling apart -- physically as well as OS glitches." No feedback from Mac-owners. None in my circle.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I would say the lifespan of a mac is longer then that of the pc because osx does a better job and not slowing down over time, and the hardware is almost the same with the new intel chips, apple is built a little more solid IMO, which should las you longer then your typical pc computer, especially longer then dell.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Macs will last forever. The only end of life span is they become to old to run the newest OS from Apple (5-6 years) or you need a faster machine to run things you want to run. Quite honestly the latter will happen before the former mentioned.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines View Post
Macs will last forever. The only end of life span is they become to old to run the newest OS from Apple (5-6 years) or you need a faster machine to run things you want to run. Quite honestly the latter will happen before the former mentioned.
This is very true.. although the computer will eventually not work after it has been beaten around alot.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

reasserting some of what's been said.

laptops really only need to be replaced if they start to fall apart or become seriously out of date.

slowdowns are no reason to get rid of a laptop - mac or wintel. in either case, if normal maintenance does not seem to help to your satisfaction, a complete reformat and reinstall of the OS will always do the trick. just make sure you have backups of your data and your non OS packaged apps.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
This is very true.. although the computer will eventually not work after it has been beaten around alot.
Well naturally, anything will stop working when you break it :p

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines View Post
Well naturally, anything will stop working when you break it :p
sounds like a riddle.

what doesn't stop working when you break it...

how about an egg?
or a toyota pickup truck?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
sounds like a riddle.

what doesn't stop working when you break it...

how about an egg?
haha nice

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I G3 laptop that lasted me 7 years.. I finally upgraded just because I wanted something a bit new and faster.. The G3 still works to this day.. I just dont use it.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

i have a friend who has three (or four?) mac laptops, each a successive generation from the last. all still run and all still run quite well. the oldest is almost five years old and is still doing well. his daughter plays with it daily.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I have an 8 year old G3 Wallstreet running at 233Mhz that can un-officially run Tiger so I hear. I've got Panther running on it. It is slow but works properly. A memory boost to 512MB would certainly help, since I only have 256MB in it right now. Is this a viable machine. Well for e-mail and web browsing it is fine. I did video editing on it when I had a 466Mhz card in it, but that doesn't work any longer. It would be OK for Cocoa programming and non-professionaly image editing, and using MS Office. Using anything that challenges the graphics system would likely be unadvisable.

Considering Microsoft hasn't released a new version of their OS in 5 years, I'm not sure why you'd be seeing the problems you describe. I have heard slow downs can occur due to software problems, but out right freezing seems weird. Defragging your hard drives may help with some slow down issues.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Things to take note of when getting a 2nd hand Mac? | getting music from old HD ->iTunes »