New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PRinMD

OK, about to pick up a second Mac in the house, but still new at this, it's a used Imac running jaguar. Never used it before. My first Mac is my ibook that I recently bought, it came with panther. My question is hoq to put panther on my imac to be. Can I use the panther cd's that came with my ibook or is there some serial issue like wiindows.

Other question is: If I can use my panther cd's, is it just an upgrade to jaguar or is it a full reformat of the harddrive with a fresh install of the software, and can it easily be done??? I have done installs of linux and some were fairly easy like Mandrake and Redhat as opposed to slackware.

Any and all info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If the CDs that came with your iBook are restore CDs, then I don't think it will work. If it is a full version of Panther, then you should not have a problem. Also if you have not used the iMac, then I would do a fresh install. By wiping the disk clean then install the operating system. Your only problem is do you want to run the classic envirnoment. If so you need the OS 9 media also.
QUOTE Thanks
PRinMD

Cool, thanks for the info, well a little late though, ended getting a new IMAC, just the 15". Hell can't afford some of the stuff.

Never really used apple, so I see no real use for OS 9. Unless it is necessary for some other programs? I'm just starting out so I really don't have anything that might need it. On my ibook though, there is a folder with some classic system folder on it, guess it came with 9 as well.

Oh well thanks for the info. Apreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« About MPlayer | Trouble »