Thread: OS question

Question OS question
    OK, about to pick up a second Mac in the house, but still new at this, it's a used Imac running jaguar. Never used it before. My first Mac is my ibook that I recently bought, it came with panther. My question is hoq to put panther on my imac to be. Can I use the panther cd's that came with my ibook or is there some serial issue like wiindows.

Other question is: If I can use my panther cd's, is it just an upgrade to jaguar or is it a full reformat of the harddrive with a fresh install of the software, and can it easily be done??? I have done installs of linux and some were fairly easy like Mandrake and Redhat as opposed to slackware.

Any and all info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Los Angeles, California
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    If the CDs that came with your iBook are restore CDs, then I don't think it will work. If it is a full version of Panther, then you should not have a problem. Also if you have not used the iMac, then I would do a fresh install. By wiping the disk clean then install the operating system. Your only problem is do you want to run the classic envirnoment. If so you need the OS 9 media also.

Cool, thanks for the info, well a little late though, ended getting a new IMAC, just the 15". Hell can't afford some of the stuff.

Never really used apple, so I see no real use for OS 9. Unless it is necessary for some other programs? I'm just starting out so I really don't have anything that might need it. On my ibook though, there is a folder with some classic system folder on it, guess it came with 9 as well.

Oh well thanks for the info. Apreciate it.

Thread Information