Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viewing pics?

Viewing pics?
    I tried doing a search before posting this, but I could not find an exact answer...
    You know on a PC if you put a bunch of pics in a folder, when you click on a pic it opens up the picture viewer thingy where you can click the arrows and go through all the pics in the folder? (I hope this makes sense). Well how can you do that on a mac? Like how can go through all my pics in a folder? Cause now when I click on one it opens in preview and I can only see one at a time...

Thanks

sounds like you mean 'filmstrip' view.

afaik osx/finder doesn't do this natively in the same way wondows does it. though you can choose the third of the three views you can select at the top, and that kind of works the same. not sure about iphoto, since i find it too "bossy" for my tastes, but it may have a similar function. there are also a few decent third party programs that do this ok.
    Xee, for example allows a nice browsing function by just allowing you to go back and forth through a folder in the same way windows preview program does.
    Image Plus and Adobe Bridge offer some nice functionality in this regard, though at a cost.

actually, rereading - it seems you do mean the windows preview "windows picture and fax viewer".

Xee will do this perfectly - i use it all the time...
    look here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29046

or if that doesn't work google "Xee mac"

[edit]by the way, once you download, you need to go to preferences and make sure it will open the picture types you want by default, most likely just .jpg/.jpeg, .gif, .bmp, .png, etc[edit]

Click command-A to select all images in the folder. Hover cursor over one of the images, right-click (or command-click, I believe) and select "slideshow".

I think that's what you want, isn't it?
    www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
    Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    You can also select all (Command + A) and select Open with > Preview.app from the Right click window.

Specs:
    Custom PC
    If you select all the images you want to open, double-click any one of them, and it will open them all in Preview with a "drawer" on the side showing you all your images and you can go through them all from there.

EDIT: This is what it will look similar to:

iPhoto works like Filmstrip view in XP as does Preview as mentioned.

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    xee is just the ticket! I have been looking for a program like this since I switched to Mac about 5 months ago. To date, I have been using open source X11-based programs to achieve this functionality, particularly the ability to open any single picture in a folder of pictures and then simply go forward or backward to other pictures at will. It is GREAT to find a native OS X app that does this. Thanks eric.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thumbs up
    glad i could help!

Specs:
    OK, my initial enthusiasm may have got the better of me. It appears that xee scales all images to fit the screen as its default behavior. Although you can resize the image to full size manually, I haven't found any way to have xee do this by default - have all images viewed at 100% "zoom" as the default.

Do any of you xee users out there know how to do this? None of the preferences seem to set a default zoom. Does anyone know how to set the default zoom to 100%? Thanks.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3

got it.

view > automatic zoom
    you can toggle shrink to fit off (seems like default is on).

you know you can also [apple]+left or right arrow to scroll through pics instead of using the arrows on the app itself?

Specs:
    Thanks again Eric. Actually, it is even easier than [apple] +left/right arrow. You can just use the page up / page down keys to move from picture to picture.

doesn't seem to work on my macbook - probably the truncated key allotment compred to the fullsize you most likely use on the g5.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I just downloaded Xee and I think I'm going to be happy with it. But, how can I make it be the default picture viewer for all my pics? Cause when I click on a pic it still opens with preview.

MacHeadCase
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Click command-A to select all images in the folder. Hover cursor over one of the images, right-click (or command-click, I believe) and select "slideshow".

I think that's what you want, isn't it?
    I'm on 10.4.8 and I use that a lot. I find it quite helpful too. It even loads RAW files (.CR2) natively. Pretty cool!

Thread Information