New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

thinking about making the switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bdee1

i have had PCs for years now and my current system is a couple years old and its about time for an upgrade. but this time around i was toying with the idea of getting a mac. but i have some concerns.

I am a web developer specializing in coldfusion. so mostly i will be using my system for that but of course i will be using it for some personal things too. basically here are the items i use on a regular basis on my current system:

Dreamweaver 8 - i have a copy of this for windows - do i need to buy another copy for use on mac or is there some other way - i really dont want to have to spend $300-400 for software i already have
Photoshop - again - i am not sure if i have to buy this again to get the mac version
Acrobat -
Microsoft Money 2007 - i doubt this will run on mac - am i correct?
Quickbooks 2005 - will this run on a mac?
Microsoft Office (word, excel and access primarily) - they still offer ms office for mac right?
Nero - i assume that if this doesn't run on mac there is some equivalent burning software that can be used.
firefox - i assume i can get this for mac right?
itunes - obviously i can use this on mac
VNC - do they make this for mac?

i guess the key is that if i have to buy all my software again then that adds a lot to the price of switching and it is no longer affordable. so i am curious how the licensing works if i already own the windows version.

also if i get a mac with an intel processor, i can dual boot with winxp now right?

sorry if these are dumb questions but i have very little experience with the mac and want to make sure i am doing the right thing before i make the switch.
QUOTE Thanks
mdjerome

mdjerome is on a distinguished road

Essentially, all of these can run on the mac if you load windows on there. As far as photoshop goes, if you contact adobe and say you have switched to the Mac OS X platform they will send you a new copy of photoshop. You can get office for mac or you can use something like OpenOffice or Neo Office. Unfortunately there is no access for mac though. When it comes to Nero, I suggest Roxio's Toast 7 much more powerful than nero.
QUOTE Thanks
Guardian

Hello, like you I was a very long time PC user who made the switch about 2 months ago. I have installed Parallels on my Imac and run Xp thru it. So far it has operated everything (windows related) that I use which includes Office.

Firefox: yes there is a mac version, but you may like Safari more which comes with the system.
Itunes: Yes comes with the system
MSOffice: There is a Mac version

What I have found interesting so far is that I cant remember the last time I had the desire or need to start Parallels to run XP, but its there just in case.

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
bdee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
Hello, like you I was a very long time PC user who made the switch about 2 months ago. I have installed Parallels on my Imac and run Xp thru it. So far it has operated everything (windows related) that I use which includes Office.

Firefox: yes there is a mac version, but you may like Safari more which comes with the system.
Itunes: Yes comes with the system
MSOffice: There is a Mac version

What I have found interesting so far is that I cant remember the last time I had the desire or need to start Parallels to run XP, but its there just in case.

Good luck
thanks for the info - it sounds more and more reasonable. with any luck, if adobe will give me the mac version of photoshop, they might give me the mac version of dreamweaver (fingers crossed).

now another question - i will still have 4 other windows systems running in my house (one is a media center for the living room, one runs homeseer for home automation, one is for video editing, and one is a laptop.) the nice thing about having all windows systems is that if i am upstairs on the video editign system and i need to check on somethgin runnign on my office pc downstairs i can just use remote desktop to connect to it and do what i need to do. i assume i will not be able to connect to windows pcs via remote desktop using macOS?

also for file sharing on my home network, i have an unraid server (http://www.lime-technology.com/)
i assume i will be able to connect to the shares on that with no problem?
QUOTE Thanks
mdjerome

mdjerome is on a distinguished road

The short answer, yes all the protocols are the same.
QUOTE Thanks
bdee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjerome View Post
The short answer, yes all the protocols are the same.
so then is there software for mac that will allow me to connect to a windows pc via remote desktop? if so then does it come with mac OS or is it a 3rd party product?
QUOTE Thanks
Mike.Bowden

Mike.Bowden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"

There are other 3rd party apps to do this with. I haven't gotten my other Windows machines up and running so I haven't had a chance to test any of these. But I did find this, which may help answer your question.

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/prod...her/index.html
QUOTE Thanks
heywire

heywire is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83GHz

To connect to the PC from the Mac, you can use RDP Client from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient

I do this daily to connect to my headless servers from my MacBook, and it works great.

To connect to the Mac from PCs, you can either use the built in "Apple Remote Desktop" that is compatible with most VNC clients on the PC (ultravnc, realvnc, etc), or you can use the OSXVNC server with those same clients. OSXVNC has a lot more options to customize...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Opening pdf files in browser | Firefox and saving passwords (need suggestions on saving them) »