New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Opening pdf files in browser

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maco

Maco is on a distinguished road

I find it more convenient to open pdf files in the browser, like I used to do in windows, instead of downloading them. Now, using safari or firefox, a window appears whenever I click on a pdf file link asking me if either I want to save it or open it using Preview. Preview is fine but I prefer Acrobat reader. So I tried to change the prefernces of both Preview and Acrobat reader so that pdf files are always opened using Acrobat, and made sure the same case applies when I open the files in a browser (this can be found in Acrobat reader preferences). However, I still have to save pdf files on my computer to open them with Acrobat, they forcefully open with Preview using a browser.

Any suggestions?

Once you go Mac you never go Back
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Your signature is much, much too big.

You may want to look at Safari's preferences, as I think there's a way to set it to be the default app to open PDFs from the web.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Maco

Ok, I looked in Safari's preferences and couldn't find something related

But on firefox I found "Download Actions", and could use "View & Edit Actions". A table of some file formats and their corresponding application is shown, but I can't do anything to the contents of this table. There is an "Add action" button but it's disabled.

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Have you tried getting info for a PDF on your machine and changing it open with Reader (click change all too).

Try downloading Reader again too. PDFs open in Safari for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

Maco -- I've been trying to do this for months with no luck. I've changed settings on Firefox but it still wants to use Preview or save the pdf to the desktop. I think, but I'm not sure, that it has to do with Adobe not providing a plug-in for Mac OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
Maco

Thank you all

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Loading Classic Into OS X | thinking about making the switch »