New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Want to convert-which Mac should I get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jake B

Hi guys,

As you can tell, I am new here. I want to make the switch from my Dell to a Mac Notebook. Any advice on what to get would be awesome. My uses are: Basic web surfing, word processing, some photo stuff, watching movies, and playing the occasional game. Also, I dont want to spend more then like $1500, being a poor high school student and everything .

Thanks!

Jake
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

G'day Jake B,

I recommend you browse the Apple website and do as much research as you possibly can.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...AppleStore.woa

The Switcher Hangout forum also has a wealth of knowledge.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/

Finally, if you do a quick search of the forums you might find that someone before you could have asked the very same question and so there will be some advice already given on the subject.

Feel free to post back with any further questions if the above fails to help you.
QUOTE Thanks
Jake B

Cool, thanks for the advice!
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

i would highly recommend the macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

First ask what you are replacing. If it is a desktop, go iMac. If it is a laptop, then I agree with Brian that you should go with the macbook. Just remember that the macbook has the smaller 13" screen. You should definitely check one out to make sure you are ok with it. The 20" iMac also falls in your price range. The 17" will leave you with money for any software upgrades you want to purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
Jake B

I am coming from a Dell desktop, but I would like to get a laptop, if that helps.

Thanks-Jake
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

that is what i did, my macbook replaced my windows pc, althought i still have it but dont really use it all that much now. the mac is powerful enough to be a desktop replacement
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
Hi guys,

As you can tell, I am new here. I want to make the switch from my Dell to a Mac Notebook. Any advice on what to get would be awesome. My uses are: Basic web surfing, word processing, some photo stuff, watching movies, and playing the occasional game. Also, I dont want to spend more then like $1500, being a poor high school student and everything .

Thanks!

Jake
Hi,

Most of what you want to do should be easy enough with a Mac. The photo stuff is easy because of the bundled iPhoto. Movies is easy because of Front Row. Basic web surfing too is easy, Safari is a powerful browser.

The only concern that I have is that the Mac is not designed to play games that well, and there are not that many games that are released for the Mac. It depends upon what you want to play and how often.

However don't let that put you off. All Mac's are great machines and once you have switched and used OS X you probably won't want to go back (I know that I don't).

Do loads of research and enjoy.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Don't forget your student discount.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mp3 player othere then an iPod/iTunes? | 2 Day old Mac Member - Installing media player problem »