New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MBP: Frontrow without boot-up??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Just got my MBP the other day. I thought I had read some time ago that you can access Front Row and play files without booting up the whole computer. Even though at this time it only take a few seconds, it would be nice to know if it's possible.

On that note, I have had problems with my display dimming while watching movies and I have to run the mouse to bring the brightness back up. Anyhelp on this?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I don't think that's possible. I've never heard anywhere about being able to run it without booting up.

FrontRow is a program and so it would need the OS to be booted in order to function.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

You can set your energy saver settings to not dim the display while you're watching a movie. Not a perfect work-around, as you'll have to change the settings back and forth each time, but it'll prevent the interruption to your movie.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Thanks for the help. I thought I had read you could, but I suppose I just assumed it since so many PC's offer that ability and Mac is supposed to be on the cutting-edge. I also thought there was a place to keep the remote control on the computer like some PC models have. The fact that saver kicks in when a movie is played with the system's native player is annoying and goes against everything I've heard about Macs being superior in intuitiveness and user-friendliness. I'm facing quite a few disappointments since purchasing mine. I haven't seen anything yet that makes my MBP superior to other lappies.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

To be honest, you must have some weird setting turned on. I've never had a problem with the screen dimming while playing a DVD.

As for PCs being able to do things without booting up, I'd like to know which one does that. I've never even heard of that.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
amd4me

amd4me is on a distinguished road

All of the HP's have quick play as well as the dell E-series lappies.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
...I haven't seen anything yet that makes my MBP superior to other lappies.
So you haven't got as far as logging into OS X then?

I can see why you wouldn't be able to fire up FrontRow before logging in, as it uses your Documents folder as its path to your media. If you don't log in, who's documents folder should it use?

However... I'd like to see this one as well. How's about this for a work around:

Create another account and putting all your movies there. Then enable auto-logon to this other account. That way, once the machine boots up, FrontRow will work from the remote as you will be logged in.

Swap over to your main account using the Fast User Switching menu. Note, I haven't tried this, but it seems like it just might work!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 Day old Mac Member - Installing media player problem | should i get a mini »