New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Firefox and saving passwords (need suggestions on saving them)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JuniorNA

Hey guys,

Does anyone know why or how firefox chooses its sites to save passwords for you?

Is there a rhyme or reason?

8 out of 10 sites I login to, firefox asks if i'd like to save a password. but the other 20% of the sites i go to, it doesnt even come up to save the password.

Is there a reason for this? Maybe the SSL or HTTPS encryption, and firefox is not allowed to save the password because the site or login is encrypted or protected?

For example, when i to my online credit card, firefox saves it...but when I go to yahoo mail, and put in my password...firefox does not come up and ask to save my password.

Kinda weird, both have enhanced encryption, but it doesnt ask for me to save on yahoo.

Is there a shortcut, or buttons I can hit when entering my password so firefox knows I want it to be saved?

It's getting really annoying, and I miss my roboform for my windows machine.

any help or suggestions would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

It depends on how the website author wrote the html. They can disallow auto logins and autofill using html code.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
SeVeN

SeVeN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Snow. 500 MHz DV Special Edition OS X.3.9 640 RAM 130GB

this can be done in FireFox Prefs.

MacBook Pro 2 GHz Intel Core Duo OS X 10.4.8
iMac Snow DV 500 MhzOS X 10.3.9
Power Mac G4 Cube 450 MHz OS X 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
Chewbacca

Chewbacca is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz

One thing may be that you could have already selected "not for this site" when prompted the first time to save the password.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

There is a script you can put in greasemonkey to override so you can save a yahoo password and log in, in opera all you do is hit the wand and log in automatically.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« thinking about making the switch | Title Bar Transparency »