New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help On PC-Mac Switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benhot

benhot is on a distinguished road

Right now I own a 2.0 Ghz g5 Power Mac. Its served me pretty well, but I need to make the switch back to PC. Theres to many good games coming out (Bioshock, Crysis, Spore) for me to stay mac. So I am here asking for advice on how best to make the switch. I was thinking of selling my powermac (or mac pro w/e theyre calling it now a days) on ebay. I'd then keep my display so I'd just have to buy the CPU PC. Not really sure on the best way to do this though, so some help/advice would be very appreciated. Thanks ! : D
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Making the switch back to PC is relatively easy. You won't have the learning curve involved with your original switch. Simply sell your Mac on eBay as you mention and as you are already familiar with PC's, it shouldn't be too hard to land back on your feet.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
benhot

benhot is on a distinguished road

Are there any specific PC's or video cards that aren't compatible with my apple display? I plan to use that on my PC but ive heard certain cards arent compatible with it.

Also, how do clear my hard drive to prepare it for selling ?
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Keep your mac and buy an Xbox 360, all of those games are coming out for it in the Spring.
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x0r View Post
Keep your mac and buy an Xbox 360, all of those games are coming out for it in the Spring.
This is the best option IMO. PCs have a much shorter period towards obsolescence than any console does. With a PC you have to upgrade your components every so often and you have to tweak it for the best performance. Consoles do not have the tons of overhead that a PC (or even a Mac) does when it comes to running the OS. The XBox, PS3, and especially the Wii have very streamlined OSes and are specifically geared for gaming. Lastly, a console costs significantly less than any PC that is properly equipped for gaming. A good gaming rig starts at about a grand but the really good ones easily surpass two grand. The Wii is $250 and the Xbox360 premium can be found for $399. Next week, Amazon will be selling a 1000 Xbox 360's for $100 each.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Next week, Amazon will be selling a 1000 Xbox 360's for $100 each.
Really? That's pretty cheap for a 360.
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
Really? That's pretty cheap for a 360.
http://www.i4u.com/article7149.html

Yep, good luck getting one though. 1000 will go in seconds.
I'm hoping to get one to give my brother for Christmas.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhot View Post
I was thinking of selling my powermac (or mac pro w/e theyre calling it now a days) on ebay.
That would seem like misrepresentation to me. A way to confuse the buyer.

Anyway. You could sell your PPC and buy an Intel Mac and have the best of both woulds. If your budget is tight then consider a refurb from the Apple online store.

If you're concerned about the video horse power options on the Mac, then you'd have to buy a Mac Pro. The low end retail version is about USD$2150.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power saving kicks in when DVD is playing | Help - Pc emulator? »