New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

View pictures as thumbnails

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

I was wondering if there is any way to view the contents of a folder (my pictures folder in this case) as thumbnails. It's very annoying when I go to look for a pic in my Pictures folder and have to keep double clicking on different ones to get a preview. When you are looking to change the desktop wallpaper in Preferences and you navigate to a folder with images in it, it shows the images, is there a way to do this while looking at any folder in finder?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Open the Finder window
Goto the directory where you have the image items.
On top of the Finder window you will see 3 different browse options. From there select the leftmost.
Click and choose the "Show View Options" from the button right of Browse mode buttons.
Check "Icon Preview Option"

You can also adjust the size of the preview by adjusting the "Icon Size"
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

AWESOME!!! Thank you so much Novice.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

You can get a neat light table effect when you have your thumbnails in view press command and j which brings you to the view options dialogue.

You can adjust the thumbnail size. Also you can make the background colour Black which makes the pictures stand out better or you can even have another picture as a background if you like . This function only works in icon view mode
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I've just found a way to Browse my entire iPhoto library without starting iPhoto

If you fire up Automator and select iPhoto in the libraries column.

click on "ask for photo" on the actions column drag and drop it into the workflow pane.

Go to the File menu and " save as plug in " Name the file "iPhoto browser "Make sure the plug in is set to finder .

In use Cmd click or right click on the desktop to browse your library.

Thanks to "think mac .net" for this
QUOTE Thanks
thomasbonk

thomasbonk is on a distinguished road

I don't know why, BUT I did discover a fix!

Simply "right click" the Finder icon while holding the Option key, and choose Relaunch.

After relaunching, Finder was able to draw thumbnail icon previews again.
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyM1987

AnthonyM1987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage

Bonus, Press SpaceBar while highlighting a file
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari 4 | Mac Virgin »