New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Trouble

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

ok, I'm going to cut to the chase now.....

I was going to get a 20" iMac 1GB Ram, 160 GB HD, bluetooth, etc....

Now I am questioning whether that is a good choice... I have heard people saying that the GeForce 5200 isnt any good, and there isnt any expandibility.......

So my main question is shoudl a get a 1.6 GHz G5 (same specs with a radeon 9600 pro) with a 20" cinema display..... or the iMac..

I really like the iMac, ($1,000 less and much cooler looking) but I want this next computer to last about 4 years......

Which should I Get???

(BTW I'm getting this in mid-March ( :p )
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would get the dual 1.8 or 2.0 G5 if you can afford it. You would get longer life, due to the fact that the G5 chip is Apple latest processor. Secondly, it also depends on what you are going to do with the hardware. The use of the hardware should be the deciding factor. You can easily get 4 or 5 years out of any Apple problem. I have a Macf SE30 which I got in 90, which still runs fine today.
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I would get the dual 1.8 or 2.0 G5 if you can afford it. You would get longer life, due to the fact that the G5 chip is Apple latest processor. Secondly, it also depends on what you are going to do with the hardware. The use of the hardware should be the deciding factor. You can easily get 4 or 5 years out of any Apple problem. I have a Macf SE30 which I got in 90, which still runs fine today.
I have a Mac SE/30 too and it is operating as well as it did when it was new. I am about to purchase my first "Modern" mac on Tuesday when I drop by the Orlando Apple Store for my 17" Powerbook.

I have been a PC user since DOS appeared (Has TRS-80s before that) and used Apple ]['s in school. Got the Mac SE a few weeks ago and like to play with it.

I have a G5 dual monitor system on my desk at work alongside a PC. PC is needed for business applications not available on the Mac but the Mac does all the work in Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash MX. I didn't like Macs until OS X came out. Now I can't get enough! I am buying a used G4 desktop in a week or so. The Macs will be taking the place of a PC desktop, PC server and 2 PC laptops. My wife even got an iPod and put the Apple sticker on the back of the SUV.

My name is Jerry and I am a MacAddict!
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Well I finally decided.....I'm going with the beautiful 20" iMac, 1GB Ram, Bluetooth, Apple Care,etc....

I'm purchasing this is March, so when it comes I'll post some pics!

Wish Me Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJones
My wife even got an iPod and put the Apple sticker on the back of the SUV.
They have Apple sticker for cars? SWEET!

*goes to eBay*
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta
They have Apple sticker for cars? SWEET!

*goes to eBay*
When you purchase a G5 (maybe others) in the instruction/CD-ROM pack are a couple of solid white Apple stickers.

Perhaps they are availble for sale somewhere?

Jerry
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJones
When you purchase a G5 (maybe others) in the instruction/CD-ROM pack are a couple of solid white Apple stickers.

Perhaps they are availble for sale somewhere?

Jerry
I got mine with my powerbook. Actually if I remember correctly the little sheet had 2 of them, one went on my vehicle and the other one is stored safely away until I get my new vehicle.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

eBay
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS question | Huge Chat!!!! »