New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Photoshop not as fast as I thought

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

I do loads of Photoshop work - I have been using it on XP for years. I was excited about using it on Mac as people were always telling me how much better it runs. I loaded up a web design I needed to finish off last night and used Photoshop for the first time on Mac. It didn't seem too fast to me - in fact it seemed a bit sluggish compared to my three year old PC. It was just things like dragging layers around seemed clunky.

Is it just me? Is it anything to do with running an Intel Mac rather than PPC?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

If you're using an Intel Mac, then yes, Photoshop will not be as fast. Photoshop isn't a universal binary yet, it's PowerPC only right now meaning it's running in rosetta.

Next year Adobe will release the new universal binary version and I bet it will scream compared to what it did on XP.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

Thanks for the info - that's a shame. Does that mean CS3 will be a universal binary or are they releasing an updated CS2? Is there a release date for it yet?

Are most of the mainstream applications still not universal binary? I'm about to buy Final Cut Pro and Combustion . . .

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

CS3 is planned for release as a Universal Binary sometime next year, I don't have the exact date but I was reading about it yesterday.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I've heard First Quarter 2007 for CS3.

And no, there will not be an updated CS2. In fact, Photoshop Elements 4.0 for the Mac came out months after the Windows version, and even though the Intel Macs were on the shelves, Elements was written for PowerPC.

Now, if only Adobe would do a version of Audition for the Mac...
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I am using Photoshop CS2 on a PowerMac G5 (2.3 GHz dual core). Since it is running on a PowerPC chip, it is running in native mode, vs. Rosetta on your machine.

In personal "benchmarks" I have found it to be up to two times faster than Photoshop CS2 running on my older 3.0 GHz Pentium IV HT under Windows XP. At the same time though, I have also found it to be maddeningly slower on SOME things - silly stuff like resizing cursors seems to be really sluggish, while the big stuff like running filters generally runs rings around the same thing on my Windows box. Finally, Photoshop CS2 loads and runs almost 60% faster on my PowerMac than on my 3.0 GHz Windows box.

So, given that there is a rough equivalence between a PowerPC GHz and a Core 2 Duo GHz, you should expect to see significant improvment in Photoshop performance when you get to CS3 and start running natively again (of course, for all we know, CS3 could bloat up Photoshop so much that it slows right down again, but Apple can't help that!).

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

If you have OS version 10.4.8, you should see a significant performance improvement.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/firs...etta/index.php
QUOTE Thanks
Mike.Bowden

Mike.Bowden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"

Has anyone found anything that would make adobe products run any faster on intel based macs? Wondering if there is something that can be added (software) or maybe a boost in hardware that will bring the load times up and up the usage speeds a bit.

Also does anyone know if there will be a cost involved for the upgrade to CS3 or maybe a CS2 universial version?

Regards,
Mike Bowden
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post

So, given that there is a rough equivalence between a PowerPC GHz and a Core 2 Duo GHz, you should expect to see significant improvment in Photoshop performance when you get to CS3 and start running natively again (of course, for all we know, CS3 could bloat up Photoshop so much that it slows right down again, but Apple can't help that!).
Actually I'd bet that running CS3 on a CoreDuo Windows machine and CoreDuo with OS X is about the same.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Mike.Bowden

Mike.Bowden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"

Bah lol I hope that's not the case.

Regards,
Mike Bowden
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

I've been on PS CS2 a lot today and although there are a few operations that seem smoother (it seems good at transpranecy) in general my 3 yr old 1.8 Ghz AMD PC feels much faster than my 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo MBP. There seems to be a delay on the basic things like selecting tools, exporting and performing transformations . . . I was warned it would be a bit sluggish before I bought the Mac - I thought it would at least be as good as my old PC though. I'm not too bothered though - it seems Apple have done as good a job as they could with the PPC to Intel transition.

I can't wait for CS3!
QUOTE Thanks
manueljapan

manueljapan is on a distinguished road

I believe that the last update to Mac OS X (10.4.8 if I'm correct) improves a lot the performance of Rosetta, making Creative Suite to run much faster. I think I read that in an article in Macworld.
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

I've only had my Mac for three weeks and updated to 10.4.8 so I've only ever run it at that. Is there anything else thatcould be slowing it down?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Having lots of programs and using up lots of memory, but apart from that, probably not.

Photoshop CS3 was demonstrated on Intel a few weeks ago. Its release is progged for April.

I don't know when work started on it though. If Apple were busy rewriting OS X in x86, what exactly were Adobe doing?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

amp up the memory to 2GB and see the performance increase. Rosetta consumes a lot of RAM and 512MB is not enough. Running two PPC apps in rosetta is almost impossible on 512MB but run quite efficiently on 2GB...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Displaying actual size of aliased file | Advice desperately needed - is a Mac right for me? »