New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Setting Default Applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

relapse

relapse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

All avi video files on my Mac are displayed with the Quicktime icon. I want to use VLC Media Player as the default video player on my computer. Where can I set the default application so that whenever I click on any video file, VLC opens up? (I know I can right click and say "open with" VLC. I was hoping that there was a way around this.)

Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

how do i change default programs

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
relapse

Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

That thread gives instructions which lead to the following:

I set that particular file to open with VLC. But only THAT particular file opens with VLC. All of the other files are still quicktime files. I just want to download a video clip every single day, and every single day, I want to double click on the video and it should open up with VLC. I'm trying to avoid having to set each and everything single file to always open with VLC (since I have thousands of files on my computer).

And even though the icon changes from a Quicktime icon to a VLC icon, when I right click, it still lists Quicktime as being "default"

Is there any way to do this?

I'm starting to think that my only solution is to delete QuickTime completely from my HD. I mean, VLC plays all the avi files that Quicktime does, so why would anyone use QuickTime? VLC does more than QuickTime does as well. Some say the quality on VLC isn't that great, but I don't have any problems with it at all.

Any suggestions?

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can't delete QuickTime otherwise iTunes (and possibly iMovie/iDVD) will no longer work.

I used to use VLC but once I got all of my codecs sorted out I have gotten everything to play in QuickTime, and its not as much as a memory hog as VLC

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Do a "get info" (ctrl+I) command and twirl down on the 'Open with:' section.
Select the application you want to open the file with and then click the "Change All..." button.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (71.4 KB, 30 views)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
relapse

AWESOME. Now, I just did it on my external hard drive to try it out. Should it work everywhere else (on my Mac HD as well)?

Also, trpnmonkey, could you possibly post a site where I can download all the necessary codecs I need for QuickTime? You bring up a good point about VLC using lots of memory resources, so I may want to download QuickTime codecs down the road. It's just that I've always found them frustrating, and hard to deal with.

I play .avi .mpg .wmv xvid divx
pretty much every single video extension that's out there. where could i download all the quicktime codecs for those?

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/download/index.php
http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm
Should take care of getting almost all of the videos to work

http://www.mactcp.org.nz/quicktime/AC3CodecMacOSX.sitx
That audio codec takes care of the cases where the video works but the audio doesnt

I have yet to find a video I can't play in QuickTime (besides real which luckily isn't that popular anymore) with these

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
relapse

So I just download divx and the plug-in automatically works with QuickTime? Or do I need to do any configuring?

Also, the download is giving me a ton of different files. I just need the QuickTime plug-in, I don't need the player or anything else. I did a search for divx and there are tons of files all over the place (.plist files and other preferences) and I don't know what all of this stuff is. I don't want to have it on my computer if I don't need it.

Please let me know, thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
relapse

I also installed Flip4Mac. Is it normal for wmv files to take longer to load in QuickTime than avi files? Just curious, because I have a bunch of wmv files on my external hard drive, and they take longer to load than the avi files.

QUOTE Thanks
pryl18

pryl18 is on a distinguished road

I've been having the same issue. Every time I want to open a file I click on "get info" and choose VLC to open all files but it doesn't work. Every file still has the quicktime icon and I always have to go through all the trouble. Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
LOL! Perfect example of "Windows" thinking.
lol

That quote is from a 4-year-old post.
QUOTE Thanks
skybythelight

skybythelight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Do a "get info" (ctrl+I) command and twirl down on the 'Open with:' section.
Select the application you want to open the file with and then click the "Change All..." button.
Ah, thank you! This was so helpful!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Data Backup Issues | Brand new Macbook air shutting down? »