New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Day 4 - A few issues left. Downloads and select print

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

meagain

meagain is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm getting used to things after 20+ years of PC.

First off, is there any way to set this machine up to handle downloads cleanly? Most times when I load something, it leaves odd traces (icons) on my desktop or dissappears into the Finder where I cannot find it at all. Sometimes I just get code loaded in firefox/safari when I click 'download'.
For example, I can't get one single screen saver from this site: http://www.reallyslick.com/

2ndly - OMG! What was Apple thinking by not allowing "print - Selection" like Windows does? The basic way to do it is cumbersome, time-consuming, archaic, and flat out ridiculous. I have to do this one act perhaps 100 times per day and if I had to open each chunk in text edit (another window), then print that, etc. I'd blow my brains out.
Anyone know of a program, script, etc. that will fix this inhumanity to man level of insanity?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

And another question.... What is the alternative to ctrl F on a Mac to be able to find a keyword in a long piece of text or a forum page, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

The shortcut is apple-F for find.

Not sure what problems you're having with downloading. Have you got an example URL?
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
2ndly - OMG! What was Apple thinking by not allowing "print - Selection" like Windows does? The basic way to do it is cumbersome, time-consuming, archaic, and flat out ridiculous. I have to do this one act perhaps 100 times per day and if I had to open each chunk in text edit (another window), then print that, etc. I'd blow my brains out.
Anyone know of a program, script, etc. that will fix this inhumanity to man level of insanity?

Thanks
If you are using Safari isn't there is a Print Selection in the services section Shift +command +T. It works with most things. I believe there are some programs out there (I had the same gripe) I found nothing that worked in Universal Binary

You may have to install this http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24202

if you haven't got that function on the services menu
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

Thanks - I'll try that as well. My 'select - print' issues are mostly in 'mail'. IDK if another mail system would do this or this problem is a mac thing (I think so).

Here are the links I can't figure out how to download
http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/WBSoftware.html (MAC OS X Screensavers)
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
Thanks - I'll try that as well. My 'select - print' issues are mostly in 'mail'. IDK if another mail system would do this or this problem is a mac thing (I think so).

Here are the links I can't figure out how to download
http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/WBSoftware.html (MAC OS X Screensavers)
The print selection works in Mail too
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

That link looks like its got uncompiled software.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

One thing you could try for your "Select Print" is to highlight the text you want to print, and then click and drag the text to the desktop, click on your new file and print. Voila. I'm sure there may be an easier way, but this I know for sure beats opening up text edit and copy/pasting the text you want. Hightlight > Click and Drag to Desktop > Select and Print.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

Dragging doesn't work either in Mail, Safari, Firefox.
Anyone think this will be fixed in Leopard? It's a pretty bad situation. Gotta admit that one.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

You have to click and hold a while before you drag text.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Surfwax is right, you have to click and hold for about a second before you try and drag it away. I don't have Firefox but I did just test it in Safari and Mail and it works just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

In Safari, I drag the text to the desktop. It creates an icon that I click on.
There is no print button or section to print. This text box, when selected, is labeled as "Finder". No print option. I have no idea why it's opening in Finder instead of Text Edit, etc.

In Mail, when I highlight text, I cannot drag it anywhere. Won't let me.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Are you using 10.4.8? I'm not sure that matters any, but I just tested it (again) in both Mail and Safari. I wish I had a screen video capture program I'd show you what I'm talking about.

Best text explanation, after you have the segment of text highlighted, hover your mouse over it, then click and hold, after about a second (more if you want to be cautious) drag. It should show you the WHOLE text area that you are dragging, just drop it onto the desktop. On my computer it automatically makes it a file that if double clicked on takes me to a finder window. However, if you right click (Apple + Click) on the file itself, before opening it, then it brings up your options...one of which is print. I don't have a printer hooked up to my MBP so I can't test out that part, but I would assume if you select print, it will print. As for it not working in Mail, I suspect it's a matter of you not waiting long enough before you begin to drag. That, OR, it's an update that you've missed....which I doubt.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

This was suggested a few posts back but works. In Safari or Mail, Highlight the text you want to print, click on the Safari, Mail ETC in the Top Menubar and click on Services then on Textedit and on "New Window containing selection". The selected text will then open in Textedit and from there just tell it to print. This works as I just tried it in Mail and Safari and should work in most other Applications that follow the rules.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

dtravis - I know it can be done that way, but I literally have to do this act at least 100 times per day for my business and jumping thru those hoops would kill me. I guess I could use bootcamp/parallels to run windows all day but geez - I can't believe mac has no easy way to do this like windows does. I'm quite appalled by this. Seriously, if Leopard doesn't have this core basic feature, I'm going to raise **** with Apple. Like it's my job!

Jamo - Yes, I have 10.4.8. Highlighting rec'd email doesn't drag. Can't drag anything out of it. In Safari, I can drag it out to desktop but when I click on it - it's in "Finder" mode which has no print option at all. I have no idea why it's opening it in Finder instead of a zillion other things like TextEdit.

I know there are a few programs out there that "might" handle this but I can't even get the demos to load on this thing. I was told to use Bomarchiver? But I need to load that first I guess. My day with the Mac is going poorly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Music Videos | I officially call this switch..... complete! »