Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Day 4 - A few issues left. Downloads and select print (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/45277-day-4-few-issues-left-downloads-select-print.html)

meagain 11-15-2006 02:51 AM

Day 4 - A few issues left. Downloads and select print

Hi. I'm getting used to things after 20+ years of PC.

First off, is there any way to set this machine up to handle downloads cleanly? Most times when I load something, it leaves odd traces (icons) on my desktop or dissappears into the Finder where I cannot find it at all. Sometimes I just get code loaded in firefox/safari when I click 'download'.
For example, I can't get one single screen saver from this site: http://www.reallyslick.com/

2ndly - OMG! What was Apple thinking by not allowing "print - Selection" like Windows does? The basic way to do it is cumbersome, time-consuming, archaic, and flat out ridiculous. I have to do this one act perhaps 100 times per day and if I had to open each chunk in text edit (another window), then print that, etc. I'd blow my brains out.
Anyone know of a program, script, etc. that will fix this inhumanity to man level of insanity?

Thanks

meagain 11-15-2006 03:50 AM

And another question.... What is the alternative to ctrl F on a Mac to be able to find a keyword in a long piece of text or a forum page, etc?

Alexis 11-15-2006 05:02 AM

The shortcut is apple-F for find.

Not sure what problems you're having with downloading. Have you got an example URL?

Kilted1 11-15-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meagain (Post 276275)
2ndly - OMG! What was Apple thinking by not allowing "print - Selection" like Windows does? The basic way to do it is cumbersome, time-consuming, archaic, and flat out ridiculous. I have to do this one act perhaps 100 times per day and if I had to open each chunk in text edit (another window), then print that, etc. I'd blow my brains out.
Anyone know of a program, script, etc. that will fix this inhumanity to man level of insanity?

Thanks

If you are using Safari isn't there is a Print Selection in the services section Shift +command +T. It works with most things. I believe there are some programs out there (I had the same gripe) I found nothing that worked in Universal Binary

You may have to install this http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24202

if you haven't got that function on the services menu

meagain 11-15-2006 10:56 AM

Thanks - I'll try that as well. My 'select - print' issues are mostly in 'mail'. IDK if another mail system would do this or this problem is a mac thing (I think so).

Here are the links I can't figure out how to download
http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/WBSoftware.html (MAC OS X Screensavers)

Kilted1 11-15-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meagain (Post 276345)
Thanks - I'll try that as well. My 'select - print' issues are mostly in 'mail'. IDK if another mail system would do this or this problem is a mac thing (I think so).

Here are the links I can't figure out how to download
http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/WBSoftware.html (MAC OS X Screensavers)

The print selection works in Mail too

IronMac 11-15-2006 12:29 PM

That link looks like its got uncompiled software.

Jamo 11-15-2006 02:21 PM

One thing you could try for your "Select Print" is to highlight the text you want to print, and then click and drag the text to the desktop, click on your new file and print. Voila. I'm sure there may be an easier way, but this I know for sure beats opening up text edit and copy/pasting the text you want. Hightlight > Click and Drag to Desktop > Select and Print.

meagain 11-15-2006 03:21 PM

Dragging doesn't work either in Mail, Safari, Firefox. :)
Anyone think this will be fixed in Leopard? It's a pretty bad situation. Gotta admit that one.

surfwax95 11-15-2006 03:26 PM

You have to click and hold a while before you drag text.

Jamo 11-15-2006 03:32 PM

Surfwax is right, you have to click and hold for about a second before you try and drag it away. I don't have Firefox but I did just test it in Safari and Mail and it works just fine.

meagain 11-15-2006 03:40 PM

In Safari, I drag the text to the desktop. It creates an icon that I click on.
There is no print button or section to print. This text box, when selected, is labeled as "Finder". No print option. I have no idea why it's opening in Finder instead of Text Edit, etc.

In Mail, when I highlight text, I cannot drag it anywhere. Won't let me.

Jamo 11-15-2006 03:55 PM

Are you using 10.4.8? I'm not sure that matters any, but I just tested it (again) in both Mail and Safari. I wish I had a screen video capture program I'd show you what I'm talking about.

Best text explanation, after you have the segment of text highlighted, hover your mouse over it, then click and hold, after about a second (more if you want to be cautious) drag. It should show you the WHOLE text area that you are dragging, just drop it onto the desktop. On my computer it automatically makes it a file that if double clicked on takes me to a finder window. However, if you right click (Apple + Click) on the file itself, before opening it, then it brings up your options...one of which is print. I don't have a printer hooked up to my MBP so I can't test out that part, but I would assume if you select print, it will print. As for it not working in Mail, I suspect it's a matter of you not waiting long enough before you begin to drag. That, OR, it's an update that you've missed....which I doubt.

dtravis7 11-15-2006 04:26 PM

This was suggested a few posts back but works. In Safari or Mail, Highlight the text you want to print, click on the Safari, Mail ETC in the Top Menubar and click on Services then on Textedit and on "New Window containing selection". The selected text will then open in Textedit and from there just tell it to print. This works as I just tried it in Mail and Safari and should work in most other Applications that follow the rules.

meagain 11-15-2006 04:48 PM

dtravis - I know it can be done that way, but I literally have to do this act at least 100 times per day for my business and jumping thru those hoops would kill me. I guess I could use bootcamp/parallels to run windows all day but geez - I can't believe mac has no easy way to do this like windows does. I'm quite appalled by this. Seriously, if Leopard doesn't have this core basic feature, I'm going to raise **** with Apple. Like it's my job!

Jamo - Yes, I have 10.4.8. Highlighting rec'd email doesn't drag. Can't drag anything out of it. In Safari, I can drag it out to desktop but when I click on it - it's in "Finder" mode which has no print option at all. I have no idea why it's opening it in Finder instead of a zillion other things like TextEdit.

I know there are a few programs out there that "might" handle this but I can't even get the demos to load on this thing. I was told to use Bomarchiver? But I need to load that first I guess. My day with the Mac is going poorly.