New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Day 4 - A few issues left. Downloads and select print

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Here is the link for the Print Selection service. It seems to be a freebie.

Notice it has a quick keyboard shortcut.

Good find. Apple should put that in the OS stock. Works great.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Good find. Apple should put that in the OS stock. Works great.
Lets hope they address the problem anyway. Being new to Mac I thought I installed this software wrong however it works for me . I didn't really know what I did to make it work but it does.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Last night i was on my gaming PC. Went into Firefox and tried right clicking with text highlighted and no print command. Works with IE but I will never use IE on a windows PC again. Tried Opera and no Print under right click either.

Firefox in OSX does not let you use the print selection service but Opera does. I wish everyone would make their software use all the OS's features.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

meagain is on a distinguished road

xstep - I absolutely love that little program. Works swimmingly. Would you or anyone know of how one can change the font in it? It's a bit cartoonish and hard to read. IDK - Maybe it's just the default and can't be changed. Works great though!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I don't know how to change the font the lpr command uses. I'm sure there may be a way because our Unix admins do it for our HP printers. This may not apply to all printers. By the way, I liked the font I saw.

As for a font solution, I came up with two scripts to do the job. They do however use applications which means you'll have a blink on the screen as the applications display the document I'm using.

Download the attached files. The first file named pmsp.txt uses Preview. The second file uses TextEdit, allowing font and font size to be preset. You shold be able to open Script Editor (as previously done) and paste each one into it's own script name. I named my scripts 'Print Mail Selection via Preview' and 'Print Mail Selection via TextEdit' respectively.

These scripts leave you in the application that gets called. To return to mail, duplicated (cut & paste) the first tell block to the bottom of the code. A small excercise for you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt pmsp.txt (1.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: txt pmste.txt (1.7 KB, 1 views)
QUOTE Thanks
jtnkelly

jtnkelly is on a distinguished road

Put TextEdit icon in the Dock. Select text in Safari, click and drag to the TextEdit icon, then print.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Music Videos | I officially call this switch..... complete! »