New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Day 4 - A few issues left. Downloads and select print

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

Meagain, once you have the icon of the highlighted text on your desktop DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK IT OPEN, but instead RIGHT CLICK (CTRL+ Click) on it and select print. Like this:

QUOTE Thanks
meagain

meagain is on a distinguished road

OK thank you, that worked. At least for now. It won't print, but at least I had all the right commands in front of me. I'm convinced something's seriously wrong with this new computer. I can't load many types of programs at all. I seem to lack some Bomarchiver thing that I was told should be included, etc.

I was told to log out/in holding the shift key to see if things magically turn around.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
OK thank you, that worked. At least for now. It won't print, but at least I had all the right commands in front of me. I'm convinced something's seriously wrong with this new computer. I can't load many types of programs at all. I seem to lack some Bomarchiver thing that I was told should be included, etc.

I was told to log out/in holding the shift key to see if things magically turn around.
Are you near to an Apple store at all? If you take the machine in, or just pop down there, the guys at the store will happily show you how to do this stuff in person.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Well I just had some real weidness with the "drag selection to desktop and right click to prnt" method. I couldn't select my other applications for use. I would always be tossed back into Finder. Somehow I fixed it. I think by deleting the file. Anyway...

To see if I could find a solution to the requested problem I did a little digging and ended up writing a little Applescript for the job. I'm not an Applescript expert but it looks like it works. It sends it to my NextStation print queue to print, but my actual printer is messed up.

You'll need to first start the AppleScript Utility in the /Applications/AppleScript folder. Set the check mark on the "Show Script Menu in menu bar" option and close the application.

Next open the Script Editor in that same folder. Copy the following text into it and save in your personal Library/Scripts folder. That may or may not be the default that pops up. Name the file something like "Print Mail Selection".

Here is the text to copy into the Applescript editor;

tell application "Mail"
activate
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "c" using command down
end tell
do shell script "pbpaste | lpr"

After saving the Applescript, go to Mail, select some text in a message, select the Applescript symbol (a wavy scroll) that appears on the right half of the menu bar, and choose the name of the script you saved. It will likely be near the bottom.

From what I can gather, the script will print to your default printer, so you'll need that setup.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Another way to print the selected text is to choose the Reply button, and then print that window which appears. You will however also priint the basic e-mail header.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

meagain, does the text you're printing have definite starting and ending tags, or is it random?

A Google search for "OS X Mail print script" might turn something up. There are people who have written scripts and plugins for Mail. I didn't get far with that search because I'm not that curious.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

Jamo - I like the concept of what you're saying, but it doesn't work for me. When I drag the text into the desktop then 'print' - nothing prints. Do you know how I can tell it to print? My printer is working fine, but just can't print as you can doing this method.

xstep - I made the script, but I don't see any applescript wavy type (or any) icon anywhere. What do you suppose I did wrong? This would be nice if it worked.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
xstep - I made the script, but I don't see any applescript wavy type (or any) icon anywhere. What do you suppose I did wrong? This would be nice if it worked.
Did you do this first part I mentioned? "First start the AppleScript Utility in the /Applications/AppleScript folder. Set the check mark on the "Show Script Menu in menu bar" option and close the application." You should instantly see the result.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

Wow - It works very well! Nice. It prints in a bit of a funky font, but it sure works. Question, is it possible to put such a command/script in icon form for a one-click option in the dock or something? That would be off the hook!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Question, is it possible to put such a command/script in icon form for a one-click option in the dock or something? That would be off the hook!
In Script Editor perform a Save As and save it as File Format; application. Uncheck the Startup Screen selection if you do not want to confirm that you want to run the script.

Since my printer isn't giving output, I can't speak to the funky font issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

This is the way I do it

First select text

Then select services

Finally print No fuss and it's quicker than windows

It works in mail too
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

IDK - Hitting the squiggly icon in the upper right bar with the mouse then selecting print, seems alot easier. No new windows popping up, etc. I like. I want to try to make one for everything Safari/Firefox though.. not just mail.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i dont have the print service under services in safari, or opera.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
i dont have the print service under services in safari, or opera.

Ditto on this end. Latest Tiger, all updates installed.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted1 View Post
This is the way I do it
Here is the link for the Print Selection service. It seems to be a freebie.

Notice it has a quick keyboard shortcut.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Music Videos | I officially call this switch..... complete! »