New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Probable switcher questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

omegastu

omegastu is on a distinguished road

I am leaning towards buying either the 17 or 20 inch iMac and after searching throught these forums for a few days, I have some questions.

1. I have an external hard drive on my PC that holds all of our music and pictures. Will I be able to plug this into the iMac and transfer everything over easily?

2. Is there a way to open and/or edit MS Word, Excel and powerpoint without buying Office?

3. Is there a decent word processor included without buying an extra program?

I think that is about it. I went to the local Apple store and played around with the iMacs and am excited about picking one up.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

First off, congrats on making the right move and thinking about purchasing a Mac.

1. Yes, it should all transfer over flawlessly.

2. Yes, you can get the freeware program, Neo Office <--Link to download page.

3. No, for whatever reason there is no good word processor, there is a text edit program similar to Notepad in Windows, but Neo Office will work for that stuff.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

An alternative to Neo Office is OpenOffice 2, again this will handle all your Office files (word, excel, rtf etc).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

Marl Huss will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

1) Should work fine, did for me

2) You can use Open Office or Neo Office, but I highly recommend buying Microsoft Office (or less you just use it for notes etc), because it is a complete package and works fantastically. Of course that is my view from one where I rely on a feature rich, working piece of software.

3) Nothing included apart from a trial of iWork and of Office 2004, it has Text Edit which I like but I downloaded Smultron which is great for editing php and html because it has built in syntax and line numbering, oh and it has search (instant search built in)
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Yea I just got NeoOffice very impressed with it so far

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
An alternative to Neo Office is OpenOffice 2, again this will handle all your Office files (word, excel, rtf etc).
Isn't Neo Office based off of OpenOffice, but designed to run under the Mac OSX GUI, instead of needing X11?

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

You may need a better answer for question 1. Let us know which version of Windows you're using and what disk format or version you're using if you know. I'm thinking that OS X can read any Windows format, but am not sure about the latest XP format. I think the limit I'm thinking of a a write issue, not a read issue. If someone knows, please speak up.
QUOTE Thanks
hjimzaf

hjimzaf is an unknown at this point

I just transfered over all my music and pics from an XP pc to a macbook with no problems using an external HD.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/howto/dvd.html
QUOTE Thanks
omegastu

omegastu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
You may need a better answer for question 1. Let us know which version of Windows you're using and what disk format or version you're using if you know. I'm thinking that OS X can read any Windows format, but am not sure about the latest XP format. I think the limit I'm thinking of a a write issue, not a read issue. If someone knows, please speak up.
I currently have Windows 2000 pro on a 4-5 year old Dell machine. I think my external hard drive is NTFS but it may be FAT32 (can't remeber and it is currently at home.)

After reading as much info as I can on the iMac, I am still wondering what programs I will need extra if any. I am not a heavy home user. Mostly family pics and music at home and very little office program use. I would also like to be able to rip some home movies into the Mac which seems like it will be fairly easy to do.

Thanks again for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

NeoOffice is the Mac OS X version of Open Office, so no X11 needed.

For MS-Office compatible word processing also check out Abiword, www.abisource.com. This is an excellent open source freeware word processor that reads and writes MS-Word formatted files.

I transferred all my photos, music and documents from Windows to Mac about 5 months ago, and it went very smoothly. You should not have any troubles.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I get a program from a mounted package to applications/? | What constitutes a "refurb"? »