New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Multiple instances of a program

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

One thing I am having a real issue adjusting to as a network admin is the way OS X really doesn't seem to like to open more then a single instance ofa program. On my PC I am used to running 2-3 RDP instances so I can work on more then one company at once. Or playing WoW in 2 windows. Is there anyway I can tell OS X to allow more then 1 insance of a particular program to run?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hmm, I usually just select the application I want to run twice, hit apple+D to create a duplicate of that app and rename it to 'Calculator 2' for instance and just run it twice that way.

But I suppose it depends on the type of app...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Great help! I had never tried launching more than one instance of an App so never even thought of it! Again, great info.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i do the same as aptmunich, works out very well
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

Hmm that seems to work. Seems to be an odd way to run an app more then once but I guess it is the only way

Thanks alot. Gives me one less reason to open parallels
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do remember, this is not Windows. As DevilBoy here on Mac Forums says over and over, forget all you have learned about Windows. OSX is a totally different Operating System. It makes learning OSX a lot easier.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

Whether it is or is not windows makes no difference and I find people saying it in most cases to be inappropriate and a bore. What this thread was looking for was a feature and not a windows specific feature either. Just because a person happens to be made aware of a feature through windows is no reason to tell them this is not windows when they ask if a similar feature is available on OS X. Especially when the thread has already shown that such a feature on OS X exists.

Seriously, if the only contribution you can make is "this is not windows" then you should not be in the switcher forum.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Optimally you shouldn't need to open the application more than once. Most OS X applications will allow you to open more than one document window. To my own surprised I just tried this in VNCViewer and right now have two connections. One to the Windows PVR, and another to my Mac laptop.

Admittedly, certain types of apps are not thought to have this need, such as games.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
Hmm that seems to work. Seems to be an odd way to run an app more then once but I guess it is the only way

Thanks alot. Gives me one less reason to open parallels
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
Whether it is or is not windows makes no difference and I find people saying it in most cases to be inappropriate and a bore. What this thread was looking for was a feature and not a windows specific feature either. Just because a person happens to be made aware of a feature through windows is no reason to tell them this is not windows when they ask if a similar feature is available on OS X. Especially when the thread has already shown that such a feature on OS X exists.

Seriously, if the only contribution you can make is "this is not windows" then you should not be in the switcher forum.

you are the one who brought up windows stating that with this information being brought to you that you will need parallels less often. so i think his response is relatively accurate because you said that you needed windows to do this, and dtravis7 said that its not windows.

so lets calm down and then pay attention to xsteps post because he is also right
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

No, he isn't. And I never said I needed windows to do this. Only that I did not know how to do it within OS X. And my question of how to do this in OS X was answered before I was told to remember this is not Windows. Being told of course that this is not windows having no relavence at all given that there was in fact a way to do it within OS X. Purhaps it is you that should pay more attention to posts.

Seriously, how is a comment that "this is not windows" relavent even to me stating that now that I know how to do this in OS X I have one less reason to open XP via Parallels? Your post makes no sense.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Optimally you shouldn't need to open the application more than once. Most OS X applications will allow you to open more than one document window. To my own surprised I just tried this in VNCViewer and right now have two connections. One to the Windows PVR, and another to my Mac laptop.

Admittedly, certain types of apps are not thought to have this need, such as games.
Actually it is very often that a program may need to be oened more then once if you do certain kinds of work. The work I do requires 2-3 different applications to have 2+ instances at all times.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

As I said, a well designed Mac (GUI) app should have no need to be opened more than once. Now that doesn't say your work experience is wrong. Just a different model. I know you can come up with ideas where you would want to run more than one copy per user, such as simply protecting one copy from a crash of the other, or getting more work out code not designed for parallel work.

Please describe the type of work you're doing that requires this ability. I'd be interested in what it is, and if it is GUI tool based.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« oracle on intel mac | battery question »