New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What constitutes a "refurb"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Hi there

I've just taken devliery of my first Mac and thought I would join the forum as I'll have plenty of questions for your experts. I've had it up-and-running for about an hour and all I can say is - wow! I can already see why people rave on about Macs so much. I'm a freelance multimedia developer who needed something I could take on the road. I run a Windows and Linux desktops at home but thought after some research the Macbooks looked better than any other laptop. Plus, now I get experience in a new operating system

I've got the 17" 2.16 Ghz Core Duo Macbook Pro - I got it from Apple at a very good price as a refurb. Although the box is not too flash everything looks brand new! What constitutes a "refurb"?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Someone bought that computer, found something wrong with it, sent it back to Apple, Apple fixed it, then put it up for sale.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

What about models that have been in an Apple store and everybody's had a go on it for a few months?
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

I must say I haven't read of anyone being unhappy with a refurb - if you were, you could return it (I think they require a payment to cover courier costs, that's all). I have a refurbed iMac and although there's a couple of tiny little marks on the screen bezel at the top (and I mean TINY), it came with a new pack of mouse, keyboard, manuals & software.

Really the biggest giveaway was the word "Refurbished" on the box sticker...
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

An Apple refurb could also be a display model, or a unit that someone bought and simply didn't like and returned for exchange or refund: Apple can't sell it as "new," so they package it up and sell it as a "refurb."

I assume we're talking about Apple Store refurbs here. Refurbs from places like TechRestore are another story: they actually rebuild old units purchased through channels such as corporate lease expirations, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Mine is immacualte - there's not a single mark on it. You're right about the amount of satisfied refurb customers. I researched it quite a bit before committing to buy it and although I've had many different opinions as to what it actually is everyone has been happy with what they've got.

The year's warranty is obviously a safeguard too.

There's no way on this earth anyone has hammered the outside of mine before in an Apple Store.

EDIT: @caribiner23: yes, it was from apple.com
QUOTE Thanks
Josh_MacMan

Josh_MacMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV

I've bought an iBook and more recently a MBP from apple.com both refurbs in excellent condition and haven't had any issues with them.

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95 View Post
Someone bought that computer, found something wrong with it, sent it back to Apple, Apple fixed it, then put it up for sale.
"Refurbs" are also backstock/previous model machines that never hit the stores or sometimes they are custom BTO machines that people have cancelled the order on. These machines have never been used or even shipped to the customer, but since they have already been custom-configured, Apple sells them on the "refurb" site since they can't sell them on the regular store.

I got an eMac this way because it was custom BTO for a school who later changed their orders to iMacs leaving dozens of custom BTO eMacs to be sold. The school never used them.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Kulokoy

Kulokoy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.

im on my 3rd refurbished Mac (mac book, and 2 imacs). all of them are top notch. my last refurb'ed iMac has a slight scratch about half inch long barely noticeable at the back but nothing you can notice until you look very closely. what matters most to me is that it runs just like a brand new one.
QUOTE Thanks
Kulokoy

Kulokoy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.

the ones sold at store are called "refreshed" cystomers bought it, decided to return it.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple.com
Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
jpetretti

I recently purchased a refurbished macbook as well. About a month ago. I was very happy with the unit until I started to run into problems. I noticed a crack developing on the underside of the casing, which the mac genius said is from someone tightening a screw too much. Now my superdrive wont load a Disc into it. I am going to lose my computer for 7-10 business days. I don't know that you can avoid this buying brand new, but Im starting to regret the extra 12% I saved because of having to deal with all this inconvenience. Im still happy, but kinda wish I wouldve bought brand new. Not only that, if I would have bought brand new in store, they would have returned for me and I could have gotten the brand new macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

My iMac G5 PPC was replaced by Apple, under warranty, at the end of it's 1st year. I can only hazard a guess that it will be sold on as a 'refurbished' model.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Probable switcher questions | Close Window Transitions »