New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A few q's from a pc-to-mac switcher

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jms88

I've had some q's about my mac since I switched recently, wonder if anybody can help answer these. thanks!

• how do I create shortcuts to open programs through the keyboard (as opposed to the mouse)

• Can anybody suggest tools to make work on a mac more efficient?
• Entourage has gotten very slow. How to speed up the speed with which it does things especially searches for things?
• How to prevent Entourage from asking every time if i'd like to open the file because some files have viruses (entourage)?
• I have lots of duplicate email in my entourage inbox, emails that Entourage downloaded twice. Anybody know of a way to have Entourage automatically remove emails that have 2 copies in the inbox?
• In mac, is there a word shortcut for inserting a comment?
• Possible to have entourage add all recipients i send to into my address book?
• how to have Entourage alert with sound when new email arrives?
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

1) Sytem Preferences--> Keyboard & Mouse --> Keyboard Shortcuts then click the "+" symbol on the left, select application and then choose shortcut.

2)Don't understand. In what way more efficient, it's a very vague question.

3&4)Sorry I use Mail.

5) N/A

6&7) Check the Preferences option of Entourage

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but most of your questions related to Entourage so you may have been better posting about that. I personally prefer Mail as it's straight forward and simply laid out.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

I don't intend this in a negative way... but... perhaps you need to switch a bit further away from the Microsoft stable? I used Entourage for the first week (I migrated from PC land in June) and it was horrible! Slow and clunky... it doesn't help that it's a PPC application (I'm assuming you've got an Intel?).

Try Mail, it may look simple but it does everything I need, and it integrates to Address Book and Calendar to give you all the contact / event organising. It even alerts with sound when a new mail arrives

Similarly, with MS Word, you should perhaps give NeoOffice a look - it's Office compatible and free and again, from my light / medium usage, it's provided everything I've needed. I guess it's got comment support too

Both Mail and NeoOffice are Universal Binaries so they're inherently faster than Microsofts current Office offering for the Mac, I believe they have a new one coming next year if you want to shell out for an upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Entourage doesn't give me warnings about viruses when opening programs. Maybe there's a setting in the prefs somewhere?

Have you updated to 10.4.8? (look in Software update). It increases the speed of non-Intel programs like Entourage.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setup help | My mac is here. Won't recognize my usb hardrive »