New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apps for different users - permissions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak is on a distinguished road

I installed a program called alphababy (reviewed in MacWorld) to let my 3 year old play on his restricted account. Using the parental controls, I checked off the program on his account - like I did with other programs). But, it will not show up in his applications. I confirmed it was checked. It also is not working in my 6-year-old's restricted account either.

Why would this program not work?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

What parental controls are you using? Are you using the built in ones with OS X or are you using a third-party application for the parental control?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
gadgetfreak

I am using the built-in parental controls.
QUOTE Thanks
relapse

relapse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

If you're familiar with Unix you could just set permissions for various files.

QUOTE Thanks
gadgetfreak

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Unix and I am brand new to the Mac. I just don't understand why the built in permissions work for some apps but not others. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Not sure how much this will help, but here's a (quick) rundown on Unix permissions (Note, I can't do anything Mac-specific yet, as I'm still waiting for mine to come in):

Every file is owned by both a user, and a group, usually following the idea of "admin.root" where "admin" is the user, and "root" is the group. To change this, use the "chown <user>.<group> <file/folder>" from command line. The user specified does not have to belong to the specified group.

Next, we have permissions:

All files & folders have permissions for the user who owns it, the group it belongs to, and everyone else. (See above for user & group) In these sets, we have 3 types: read, write, execute.

Code:
User               | Group              | Others
Read Write Execute | Read Write Execute | Read Write Execute
The command to change these is "chmod <permissions> <file/folder>".

Now, here, the permissions part of the command gts a wee bit complex, but here's a simple breakdown:
"chmod 755 file.ext" would be changing the permissions of "file.ext" to User can read, write, execute (rwx), group is read and execute (r-x), and others can read & execute (r-x).

To make the rest of this clear, this would therefore follow the pattern of:
rwxr-xr-x

if you notice, there are 3 settings for the 3 groups, therefore 9 options total, as there would be 9 letters in the pattern above (hyphens mean that that user cannot do the specified action).

Now, with the 3 numbers in the 755, here is the breakdown (If you know binary, it makes it a lot easier to understand):
Remember that these are all following the idea of rwx
Code:
0 ---
1 --x
2 -w-
3 -wx
4 r--
5 r-x
6 rw-
7 rwx
Now, remember that for nearly any command, you should be able to read the man page on it ("man <command in question>") which will go into more detail, and give you more options for them.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't just ask me about it.

Oh, and I hope that none of the Unix-knowing people here comment on my technical omissions (ie: Directory instead of folder, and that directories are, technically, files)

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
I installed a program called alphababy (reviewed in MacWorld) to let my 3 year old play on his restricted account. Using the parental controls, I checked off the program on his account - like I did with other programs). But, it will not show up in his applications. I confirmed it was checked. It also is not working in my 6-year-old's restricted account either.

Why would this program not work?
What do you mean, "show up in his applications?"

There is the main applications folder, in /Applications, and then there is the user's applications folder, in /Users/username/Applications, and then there's the Dock.

If an app is in /Applications, anyone can see it; but you can only run it if you're not restricted, or if you are restricted but it's checked off.

If an app is in /Users/username/Applications, then only username can run it. It's theirs only.

Applications from either folder can be put in the Dock, so long as the user is allowed to modify the dock. (There's a box for that, too.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Messenger | A Mid-Range First-time Mac Notebook »