New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

is this unsafe?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

laurit1

laurit1 is on a distinguished road

is it unsafe for my macbook to close without shutting down? when i have class or need to take my computer to the library to do some work i usually just close my macbook without shutting down, carry it to class or the library, and then open it up and continue with my work. is it unsafe for me to do this--should i shut down my computer before closing it?
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

I don't have one but doesn't closing the case just make Your Display go into sleep mode....Not the whole computer.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
I don't have one but doesn't closing the case just make Your Display go into sleep mode....Not the whole computer.
No the whole computer goes to sleep. It is perfectly fine to do that

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

For pretty much any laptop (Mac or PC) there are 2 main concerns: 1) Don't leave it in sleep mode for hours (A matter of heat. Trust me, I've incidentally left it on like this, and it heats up a LOT) 2) Don't jostle the HDDs while they're working (Sleep mode gets rid of this)

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slokunshialgo View Post
...Don't leave it in sleep mode for hours (A matter of heat. Trust me, I've incidentally left it on like this, and it heats up a LOT)
I have left notebook computers in sleep mode for days on end and I have never had a heat issue with any of them.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

wrong and wrong in my honest opinion.

closing your lid puts your computer to sleep meaning that the HD locks up and wont spin and the arm thingy in it wont move as well. anything else that may move such as a cd drive shuts down as well. it stores all its memory and doesnt do anything. there is next to no heat generated by a sleeping computer. also the tiem that it is sleeping has nothing to do with anything except that after a few days or hours depending on battery left when sleeping it might shut down because it runs out of power.

long story short. close your lid, wait about 35 seconds, throw it in your bag and tote it wherever and however you want to around campus or to and from your job

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post

closing your lid puts your computer to sleep meaning that the HD locks up and wont spin and the arm thingy in it wont move as well. anything else that may move such as a cd drive shuts down as well. it stores all its memory and doesnt do anything. there is next to no heat generated by a sleeping computer. also the tiem that it is sleeping has nothing to do with anything except that after a few days or hours depending on battery left when sleeping it might shut down because it runs out of power.

long story short. close your lid, wait about 35 seconds, throw it in your bag and tote it wherever and however you want to around campus or to and from your job

-chris

Dang bro you beat my to the punch... ;]

But back to the topic. What he said ^.

QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

The ONLY scary thing about traveling with a sleepy laptop is that IF you were to drop it and the lid opened. If this happens mid-tumble and the laptop wakes up, you could be in for some trouble. That would be a freak occurance, but it could happen.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

jamo you are right and wrong. if you are using a powerbook then yes that will be an issue. a Macbook has that nifty drop feature that if it is moving rapidly or whatever, it locks everything up to prevent damage to the hard drive
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post

Sorry, didn't realize this. it could just be the model I have (It's a Dell), and I was speaking from experience of my trying to hibernate it, it screwed up, went into sleep without my realizing it, and about 6 hours later (Note that it had been in my bag the whole time) it was hot as heck.

As for the moving parts, I had meant that putting it in sleep stops everything fro moving, ridding the possibility of jostling the drives with them still running.

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

Oh, right Chris. I forgot all about that. However, if you have your notebook turned off, this is the ONLY surefire way that everything will remain off, and is the BEST way to travel with your machine. That said, I don't always turn mine off, if I'm just going across the office or from Panera to my car to home where I'll open it right back up, I just sleep it. It's totally personal preference.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Im a Convert! | Sick and tired, tired of sick of double-click »