apple menu shortcut? rename files?
    i've managed to learn how to do most everything i need to do on my new macbook by either searching the 'net, the rough guide to osx book, or by trial and error (or both). tried here too... "apple menu shortcut" ended up with no results, and file rename / multiple file rename results were iffy.

these two items, while easy to work around, are still grating on me.

1) how do i, or can i open the apple menu using only the keyboard (ala the windows key opening the start menu in windows' os). obvioulsy i can work around this with the trackpad and/or usb mouse, but it's so nice, especially when shutting down for some reason to be able to do this with the keyboard.

2) can i simply rename a handful (or more) files right from finder without using a secondary program? i've been using automator, but having to start another program and then having to drag files from one finder window to automator is... umm... well... a drag. being able to select multiple items in windows explorer then right clicking and renameing the first in a series was pretty nice (despite the limitations on numbering options). some programs also had pretty nice interfaces for renaming as well (such as ACDSee).

oh, and a bonus question...
    is it heresy here to absolutely hate itunes?
    really, the store, the program, can't stand it.
    am i a mutant? a plebian? an audion-ite...
    tell me there are a few others of you who feel the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    i've managed to learn how to do most everything i need to do on my new macbook by either searching the 'net, the rough guide to osx book, or by trial and error (or both). tried here too... "apple menu shortcut" ended up with no results, and file rename / multiple file rename results were iffy.

these two items, while easy to work around, are still grating on me.

1) how do i, or can i open the apple menu using only the keyboard (ala the windows key opening the start menu in windows' os). obvioulsy i can work around this with the trackpad and/or usb mouse, but it's so nice, especially when shutting down for some reason to be able to do this with the keyboard.

2) can i simply rename a handful (or more) files right from finder without using a secondary program? i've been using automator, but having to start another program and then having to drag files from one finder window to automator is... umm... well... a drag. being able to select multiple items in windows explorer then right clicking and renameing the first in a series was pretty nice (despite the limitations on numbering options). some programs also had pretty nice interfaces for renaming as well (such as ACDSee).

oh, and a bonus question...
    is it heresy here to absolutely hate itunes?
    really, the store, the program, can't stand it.
    am i a mutant? a plebian? an audion-ite...
    tell me there are a few others of you who feel the same way?
    1) Control + F2 puts the focus onto the menu bar so you can select the blue apple that way.

2) Perennial question, wouldn't mind knowing the answer myself.

About iTunes, I've used a few different programs and when I found iTunes it was when I was using my PC full-time and I wouldn't be without it. As far as the new version goes I'm not sure if all the fiddling I've had to do is worth the new look or not. But I wouldn't use any other program. That's my .2cents worth.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    2) You can create workflows in automator and use it in Finder. When you right-click on selected file(s) it will show "Automator" option. If you have a preconfigured workflow, you can rename the batch of files really fast.

3)Sorry, I love iTunes. However I wish there will be support for FLAC and other music file standards one day.

Quote Originally Posted by novicew View Post
    2) You can create workflows in automator and use it in Finder. When you right-click on selected file(s) it will show "Automator" option. If you have a preconfigured workflow, you can rename the batch of files really fast.
    hmmm, i'll have to try that!
    does it start up automator to do it or does it work in the background?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    You can uncheck the "Show Action When Run" checkbox in Automator.

ok, tried some of the hints...

ctrl+f2
    (tried all the special keys with f2 actually)
    doesn't seem to do anything, and other keys seem not to alter the brightness function other than opt+f2 brings up my display properties.

automator from context menu...
    my saved automator 'scripts' don't show up here. so i just have a "create workflow..." option. selecting that just starts automator.

is ther maybe a file browser/explorer app that can do this?
    i've tried "xfolders" and "macintosh explorer".

ctrl+f2
    doesn't seem to do anything, and other keys seem not to alter the brightness function other than opt+f2 brings up my display properties.
    I was able to use ctrl+f2 option fine. when you do it, it will only highlight the "apple" logo. You need to hit return after it is high-lighted.

l8r
    24" Imac 3gb of Ram/ 7600Gt with 256mb grphics card
    MacBook Pro 2.13ghz,2gb ram,160gb hd
    32gb 3GS iPhone, iPad 32gb Wi-Fi

ctrl+f2

automator from context menu...
    my saved automator 'scripts' don't show up here. so i just have a "create workflow..." option. selecting that just starts automator.

is ther maybe a file browser/explorer app that can do this?
    i've tried "xfolders" and "macintosh explorer".
    When you click on ctrl+F2 you also need to use the directional arrow keys then when you have your selection highlighted then press enter.

You can also navigate the File, Edit, View etc menus this way.

yep, tried that (familiar with having to arrow to see this sort of highlight at times with windows).

nothing visual happens with the arrow when hitting control+f2, using the arrows after this key combo does nothing on the menu bar.

could this be a macbook thing?

Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    Go into the System Preferences and click on Keyboard and Mouse. Then select the Keyboard shortcuts tab and scroll down until you see Keyboard Navigation. Below this you can set your own keyboard shortcuts to move focus to the Menu bar, dock and various other windows.

aha! cool, i'll try this after work (and after i get some sleep) tomorrow.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    Since you have a macbook you might have to hit fn+crtl+f2... I have a macbook pro and I have to do this because f2 is the brightness control. You can make it so that only crtl+f2 does it by changing the settings for the keyboard to make those buttons for software not hardware control, and then fn would make it a hard ware control button.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

I just found out that I can disable keyboard access by hitting crtl+F1, so maybe your access is disabled and you need to activate it by hitting ctrl+F1 first, before ctrl+F2 will work.

Ctrl+F3 focuses on the Dock.

Option+Command+T opens the Character Palette.

These and many more can be viewed at System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts.

fn+ctrl+f2 did it!
    thanks!

no other help/ideas on the mass file renaming thing?

Thread Information