New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

FLAC support on OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lurikrunch

I will be purchasing one of the new Conroe Macbook Pros in the immediate future, and I have a small question. I dislike mp3s and their level of quality, so my entire music collection is in a format known as .flac. Are there any third party media players out for OS X that support FLAC playback? I would be looking for the equivalent of foobar from windows.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Chundermuffin

Chundermuffin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD

Hi there! Just to let you know, the Core 2 Duos used in the MBPs (and new iMacs) are Meroms, not Conroes. Conroe is the name of the desktop version of the chip, which are not currently used in any Macs.

I've found Cog to be a great multi-format audio player for OS X. Nowhere near the customisation of Foobar, unfortunately, but it will play FLAC.
QUOTE Thanks
Lurikrunch

Sometimes I'm so clueless... thanks for letting me know it's a Merom. I'm checking out Cog now, it looks like it will do nicely, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Thanks Chundermuffin for the url to COG. It's way better than what I was using to play the few .FLAC and OGG files I have so thanks again! Looks promising.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Cog is what I use for FLACs and it is nice that Toast 7 has native support for burning them

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Chundermuffin

Chundermuffin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD

No worries I'd also like to mention that upgrading to 10.4.8 after installing Cog can mess it up (as happened to me), a complete reinstall should fix it.

That is, a reinstall of Cog, not OS X
QUOTE Thanks
waymon

waymon is on a distinguished road

Hey, Is their an update on this at all?
I got a New MBP and most of my music is Flac. Hopefully there is a plugin!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Nope, no plugin. Just Cog and MacFLAC/xAct to convert it

QUOTE Thanks
waymon

waymon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
Nope, no plugin. Just Cog and MacFLAC/xAct to convert it
Fine I settled for XAct and converted them. Hopefully Leopard has this included!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by waymon View Post
Fine I settled for XAct and converted them. Hopefully Leopard has this included!
its not an issue of the operating system , it is apple providing codecs for iTunes to recognize the files.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A couple of questions | New MacBook, installing downloads help. »