Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Which Powerbook

  1. #1
    Which Powerbook
    Ganda1f's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17
    Question Which Powerbook
    Hi all,
    I wonder if someone can give me some advise. Recently I decided that I need a laptop. Now I've been thinking of getting a Mac for some time now. Whilst out browsing for my new buy I started playing around with the powerbooks. Now I have a few questions about them.

    Firstly, I've been told that it takes an age to burn a dvd on the superdrive with the PBs. As I already have a dvd-writer with my PCs I think I can get away without the superdrive. Is the superdrive a good option? How long does it take to copy a full dvd? (for personal use only). Also is the speed difference between the 2 different 15" PBs worth the extra cost?

    Secondly, as I have an existing PC network at home that the rest of the family uses, it is quite important that I can netowrk the mac with the PCs to share the internet connection. I've heard this is easy but can anyone who has already done this tell me how easy it is? (The PCs are running XP pro). Do i need to purchase any additional software for either the PCs or the mac to enable easy networking?

    Playing games isn't a big issue for me, but just for my info, can you get any good games on the mac?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Fomer
    Guest
    Def make the switch, you sound like a perfect canidate. (And I don't throw that to everyone)

    I don't have a dvd burner as I opted for the Combo drive. But my cd burner burns quickly! I can get a cd in minutes. And have made data disc with 700 mb in minutes.

    So unless DVD burning is super important to you, I'd go with the combo drive!

    Well I swear to you IMO you cant tell enough difference in .25 GHZ. But the bakc lit keyboard and dvd burner might make it worth it to you... If so I guess its worth it, but the SD is/was too much for my pockets.

    Yes they can network, but the rest of the questions in networking I know nothing about. Leave that to someone else.

    Games? Absoutly! We have Halo, Star Wars: Series, Sims, Unreal Tournament, Myth 3, Medal of Honor, Warcraft, Return to Castle, Ghost Recon, Alien vs Predator, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Diablo, Quake 3, Rainbow Six, Madden, Doom, Duke Nukem,

  3. #3
    StarManta
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganda1f
    Firstly, I've been told that it takes an age to burn a dvd on the superdrive with the PBs. As I already have a dvd-writer with my PCs I think I can get away without the superdrive. Is the superdrive a good option? How long does it take to copy a full dvd? (for personal use only). Also is the speed difference between the 2 different 15" PBs worth the extra cost?
    One question: a laptop only has one optical drive, how exactly do you intend to *copy* a DVD on it?
    And I agree with Former - the speed difference may not be noticeable, but a backlight keyboard, Bluetooth, and USB 2.0 may very well be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganda1f
    Secondly, as I have an existing PC network at home that the rest of the family uses, it is quite important that I can netowrk the mac with the PCs to share the internet connection. I've heard this is easy but can anyone who has already done this tell me how easy it is?
    1) Plug Mac into router.
    2) Umm... there really isn't a "2".

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganda1f
    Playing games isn't a big issue for me, but just for my info, can you get any good games on the mac?
    I always recommend Windows (or consoles) for hardcore gamers, but if gaming isn't your life, there are more than enough games to get by on. Blizzard's games are all hybrid discs, and a lot of other games are ported.

  4. #4
    Which Powerbook
    MAC-simus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    442
    Specs:
    2GHz C2D macbook
    [/QUOTE] I've been told that it takes an age to burn a dvd on the superdrive with the PBs

    it take about 45 min to burn DVD in superdtive if you use toast & or disk utility.
    I made the test. i used to DVD studio pro to create the dvd, 4,2 gigs. it takes 15 min if I burn using this software. same with iDVD. but when i tried to burn same VIDEO_TS folder using toast six or disk utility it took 45 minutes.
    I dont realy understand why.

    if you have the possibility, buy external DVD burner with multiple media suport. (DVD-R, DVD+R...)
    superdrive only suports DVD-R media.

  5. #5
    Which Powerbook
    Mojo027's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 08, 2004
    Posts
    114
    Specs:
    iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
    If you don't want to play games, why don't you get a iBook?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
  2. Transfer Music from Powerbook 2 Powerbook?
    By randomfactor in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 03:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •