Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup

Backup
    Specs:
    24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
    Backup
    I just recently purchased an Imac 24" and love it so far. One thing I was curious about though is backups. On my old PC I used to use Acronis to make backup images of my data and store them on a separate hard drive. Since I have started to consider taking my Imac back to the sotre and saving $300 by purchasing a refurbished model instead I would like to be able to have a full sytem backup which I could restore if I made such a swap.

Is there good and cheap software for the mac which I can use to essentially make a image of my hard drive which can be restored to a new hard drive? This would also be usefull if I was to upgrade the hard drive in my system itself from a 250g to something larger.

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
    I just recently purchased an Imac 24" and love it so far. One thing I was curious about though is backups. On my old PC I used to use Acronis to make backup images of my data and store them on a separate hard drive. Since I have started to consider taking my Imac back to the sotre and saving $300 by purchasing a refurbished model instead I would like to be able to have a full sytem backup which I could restore if I made such a swap.

Is there good and cheap software for the mac which I can use to essentially make a image of my hard drive which can be restored to a new hard drive? This would also be usefull if I was to upgrade the hard drive in my system itself from a 250g to something larger.
    Hi theonegod and welcome to Mac-Forums!

I think Disc Utility will do what you want. You will find it in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder at the bottom of the list, usually.

Backup
    Specs:
    24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
    Ah thanks. I see that there now. Looks like it may even have an option related to using a dvdr. Will have to play with it.

Backup

Ah thanks. I see that there now. Looks like it may even have an option related to using a dvdr. Will have to play with it.
    This article might interest you:

http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy/...g_img_iso.html

Backup
    I have been using Backup for the past couple of weeks and find it works very good. I use it to backup to my iDisk as well as an extra hard drive.

Backup
    Specs:
    24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
    When I try to use disk utility and make an image to either my hard drive or a network drive I get an error that it can't make itcause the resource is in use. Sound slike it is saying the hard drive is in use so it can't make the image. But nothing but disk utility is running.

Backup
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I personally like Superduper! for full bootable system backups.

It's free for full backups, you'll need to buy it for incrementals though.

Backup
    Specs:
    iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4
    I like backitymac. It's great if you're an active iLife user.

Just wait for Leopard--- it's gonna be great with backups :-)
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.

Backup
    Specs:
    24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
    Doing abackup with SuperDooper now. Seems to be pretty straight forward for what I want. I just want straight up images of the hard drive. No incrementals, no individual files. Seems to do that well.

Backup
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Could someone please walk me through the process of backing up my system using SuperDuper! ???

TIA

Backup
    Specs:
    27" 5k imac i7, 295x
    When I try to use disk utility and make an image to either my hard drive or a network drive I get an error that it can't make itcause the resource is in use. Sound slike it is saying the hard drive is in use so it can't make the image. But nothing but disk utility is running.
    i get the same problem ,can any one help me

thnks kman
    "I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"

Backup
    Specs:
    Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2
    There is also Carbon Copy Cloner

Backup
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE
    Could someone please walk me through the process of backing up my system using SuperDuper! ???
    Start superduper, select your current drive in the left box and your external drive as the destination.
    Hit copy now, enter your password and let it run.

Note: It will delete all data on the external partition before running the backup.

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    Note: It will delete all data on the external partition before running the backup.
    So, does this mean anything on an external drive will be replaced? I'm new to the idea of external HD and SuperDuper, but my common sense tells me that one must partition the ext HD and keep the backups on that partition, so that when the next backup is performed, it replaces the old one?

I saw you can backup to another computer via network but I was scared to proceed 'cos it warned of erasing something in the process and I didn't want anything erased on my PC.

Backup
    Specs:
    That's right.

I have an external drive with 2 partitions - one for additional data and one solely for backups that is the same size as my internal drive. I backup all my data to that partition using superduper.

Thread Information