New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

I just recently purchased an Imac 24" and love it so far. One thing I was curious about though is backups. On my old PC I used to use Acronis to make backup images of my data and store them on a separate hard drive. Since I have started to consider taking my Imac back to the sotre and saving $300 by purchasing a refurbished model instead I would like to be able to have a full sytem backup which I could restore if I made such a swap.

Is there good and cheap software for the mac which I can use to essentially make a image of my hard drive which can be restored to a new hard drive? This would also be usefull if I was to upgrade the hard drive in my system itself from a 250g to something larger.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
I just recently purchased an Imac 24" and love it so far. One thing I was curious about though is backups. On my old PC I used to use Acronis to make backup images of my data and store them on a separate hard drive. Since I have started to consider taking my Imac back to the sotre and saving $300 by purchasing a refurbished model instead I would like to be able to have a full sytem backup which I could restore if I made such a swap.

Is there good and cheap software for the mac which I can use to essentially make a image of my hard drive which can be restored to a new hard drive? This would also be usefull if I was to upgrade the hard drive in my system itself from a 250g to something larger.
Hi theonegod and welcome to Mac-Forums!

I think Disc Utility will do what you want. You will find it in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder at the bottom of the list, usually.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

Ah thanks. I see that there now. Looks like it may even have an option related to using a dvdr. Will have to play with it.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Ah thanks. I see that there now. Looks like it may even have an option related to using a dvdr. Will have to play with it.
This article might interest you:

http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy/...g_img_iso.html
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I have been using Backup for the past couple of weeks and find it works very good. I use it to backup to my iDisk as well as an extra hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

When I try to use disk utility and make an image to either my hard drive or a network drive I get an error that it can't make itcause the resource is in use. Sound slike it is saying the hard drive is in use so it can't make the image. But nothing but disk utility is running.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I personally like Superduper! for full bootable system backups.

It's free for full backups, you'll need to buy it for incrementals though.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I like backitymac. It's great if you're an active iLife user.

Just wait for Leopard--- it's gonna be great with backups :-)

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

Doing abackup with SuperDooper now. Seems to be pretty straight forward for what I want. I just want straight up images of the hard drive. No incrementals, no individual files. Seems to do that well.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Could someone please walk me through the process of backing up my system using SuperDuper! ???

TIA
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

Quote:
When I try to use disk utility and make an image to either my hard drive or a network drive I get an error that it can't make itcause the resource is in use. Sound slike it is saying the hard drive is in use so it can't make the image. But nothing but disk utility is running.
i get the same problem ,can any one help me

thnks kman

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

There is also Carbon Copy Cloner
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE
Could someone please walk me through the process of backing up my system using SuperDuper! ???
Start superduper, select your current drive in the left box and your external drive as the destination.
Hit copy now, enter your password and let it run.

Note: It will delete all data on the external partition before running the backup.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Note: It will delete all data on the external partition before running the backup.
So, does this mean anything on an external drive will be replaced? I'm new to the idea of external HD and SuperDuper, but my common sense tells me that one must partition the ext HD and keep the backups on that partition, so that when the next backup is performed, it replaces the old one?

I saw you can backup to another computer via network but I was scared to proceed 'cos it warned of erasing something in the process and I didn't want anything erased on my PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

That's right.

I have an external drive with 2 partitions - one for additional data and one solely for backups that is the same size as my internal drive. I backup all my data to that partition using superduper.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with the windows (how to title this? sorry!) | Trying to decide if I should buy an IMac »