New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Online Apple Purchase and College Discount

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

I am getting closer to my total savings for a Macbook Pro with one problem. I am ready to buy but have just finished my schooling. I am no longer enrolled in college, but desperately need the college discount available in the apple store. Do any of you know what is required to "prove" your enrollment when making an online purchase, if any? I am able to get the the college discount store, and go all the way to purchase, but I'm afraid to pull the trigger because as of right now I am not currently enrolled, but a few weeks ago I was. Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

I think all that you have to do online to get a discount is select your school from a list.

QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

I've been looking at thr pricing, and for me to get the student discount, I had to select my school from a list, and then enter my student number for validation. Coonsidering the lack of time it takes to do the check, it most likely just follows an algorithm to see if it would match or not. You can give it a try, and the worst that can happen is you're told that you can't get it. Otherwise, try just going into an on-campus store and purchasing it, as they may just assume you're still a student.

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

I did not have to enter any student numbers when I selected my school. I got to the school store, placed items in cart, got to the checkout and stopped. I didn't know if AFTER that, after I paid for it if there was some check. But now, after talking to several people, I don't think so.
QUOTE Thanks
CJ064

CJ064 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

i didn't have to enter any student numbers
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you go into a school, they will ask for your student ID. As work the Apple Store, they want to see proof. I believe that the Apple Store on-line does check behind the scene.

The best way to get the discount, is have a friend who is a student purchase the item for you.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

msb86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200

a buddy of mine just graduated and was still able to get a macbook several months later. He called up and placed the order instead of doing it online... give that a try. Or call and ask if you can do it...just don't give your real name

QUOTE Thanks
hotpursuit

hotpursuit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.1 GHZ

I ordered mine through our campus book store and got the discount. The final amount already with the $200 off, the clerk did ask for my student ID for enrollment verification.

Now, you may be lucky and they wont ask for your student verification, but if you do need the verification, then you can do what my friend did. He graduated and wanted to buy a MB with the student discount. He just signed up for ONE class, ordered the MB, and dropped it before the penalty date. Penalty date is where you still get full refund from a dropped class, usually you have the first week of class to decide on this.
QUOTE Thanks
CouesFanatic

CouesFanatic will become famous soon enough

I bought mine in person at the store. I told them the wrong school and they still gave it to me. They didn't ask for any school id or anything.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Rather than look for ways to "cheat the system" and lie about it to only save around $200... why not look into a refurbed machine? They are just as good as a brand new machine, come with the same exact warranty and AppleCare options AND you can save a heck of a lot more than the $200 you would from a College Discount.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I concur with D3v1L80Y

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Thanks for the input Devilboy, but I'm not looking for a hand-me-down, I don't want what someone else returned. Also, there are no refurbed C2D's to be had yet. I'm not looking to "cheat the system" as you've referred to it, I'm looking to get a discount on a Mac that I feel I deserve. I poured my cash into a school for four years and during that time I had no money for the Mac I wanted, now just after I get out, I have the jing, and want to spend it. Thanks for your concern though.
QUOTE Thanks
webbywebber

webbywebber will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext

my freind graduated from uni about a year and a half ago and over the summer she got the macbook/ipod combo for college students, she used her old number and had no problems

DEATH TO BIKE THIEVES
QUOTE Thanks
Gethin

Gethin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)

I'm in the UK but my kid brother is studying at a Uni in the US. Does anyone know if I could buy a Mac on his behalf and get the student discount? I can transfer the money to him and get him to do it if this isn't possible but it would save hassle!
QUOTE Thanks
relapse

relapse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

My 65 year old grandmother could use the student discount. Just pick a random school. I don't know why Apple hasn't made a better system to prevent people from abusing it, but 200 dollars is still a lot of money.

I saved well over 200 dollars from my last purchase from the Apple Store. It pretty much covers your taxes which can be pretty hefty in some states.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pictures found on desktop | Media Center for a Mac? »