New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

email

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

laurit1

laurit1 is on a distinguished road

is it possible to use the mail program that came with my macbook to open and view mail that is send to a yahoo or hotmail account--or in my case my college email account. if so how?
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

See if this helps http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...0/en/ml89.html

yahoo on mail? This tells me that you may not be able to do it with yahoo

or hotmail Hotmail In Mail?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

It depends on the school, I know I go to seton hall and we have to use their website to get our mail we can't use a client.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
It depends on the school, I know I go to seton hall and we have to use their website to get our mail we can't use a client.
http://technology.shu.edu/faq/page/w...r!OpenDocument

I just took a look around and it looks like you can use a client

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

thats awesome thanks! I was told that I couldn't so i didn't even look. I guess they tell you one thing but put anohter thing on their website.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Yea I found it very hard to believe. It wouldn't be too hard to figure out the POP or IMAP address for the connection and even if it is an Exchange server you would be able to get the address of the exchange server from the URL they give you to access your email

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

Yeah its an IMAP, could not figure out the outgoing but atleast I can get my mail now with out logging in because most of the mail does not require a reply.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

On my school I need to have an IP address on the school's network to get outgoing to work. Maybe that's the case for you too?
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Back to laurit's original question: I use Mail Forward for OSX for my Yahoo and Hotmail accounts.

Technically, it forwards your email to another account that you can already POP to, but since I have an account at my ISP, it works perfectly for what I need.
QUOTE Thanks
laurit1

laurit1 is on a distinguished road

ive been trying this for a couple of days now and i cant seem to figure it out. i contacted my school's IT department and he told me that it is possible for me to use a client in order to receive and send email. he informed me that it is a 'POP3' account and provided me with incoming and outgoing servers. ive tried these servers with the MacMail client and i get the following error message:
"The POP server ?spam-srv1.lasalle.edu? is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the ?Incoming Mail Server? field. If it still doesn?t respond, the server might be temporarily unavailable.

If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email."

if anyone has any info why i am getting this messge or what i can do differently please let me know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Images on Other Computers | Pictures found on desktop »