New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Ordered my new iMac 17" 2.0GHZ Duo !!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AdamBigge

AdamBigge is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

I have been a PC user for years and after my main box crashed on me yesterday :bomb: (again) I finally decided to make the switch. I have ordered the iMac core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ with 1 GB ram, 150GB HD and a 17" display. I hope I can get all the old data off of my two hard drives that are in the desktop that crashed. (the drives are fine, its the processor that crapped out.) Can anyone tell me if it is possible to plug them into an external IDE to USB adapter and just pull off what I need and then format them for use as external drives? Or will my new Mac have trouble reading a windows formatted drive? I was also hoping to reinstall XP on the usb drive and run it through Parallels whenever I needed it. The PC to Mac Switchers guide was helpful but it was a little vauge on this point. I have a 160 GB and an 80 GB drive that are both loaded with software, financial data, video and music. I have one IDE to USB adapter already and it works just fine with PC's. If I must I suppose I can just use my trusty laptop to burn all of the data to DVD's but I was hoping to avoid that. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
sluzniak

sluzniak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.

congrats and you will be just fine. I had to do that myself with my older imac. The new mac will be able to read the files and copy them over. Im not sure how the USB drive is going to be booting winXP though. you could always try it and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
relapse

relapse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

I just ordered an iMac for myself as well. I should be getting it day after tommorow. I purchased a 17 inch core 2 duo iMac like yourself with 1 GB RAM. But I upgraded the processor to 2.16 gHz and the hard drive to 250 gb.

I've been a Windows user all my life, hopefully this transition will go smoothly!
QUOTE Thanks
kaps

kaps is on a distinguished road

Hi

I am having imac 17 " c2d for 2 weeks now and enjoying the switch but still haven't had the time to completely dig things. Hopefully can do now...... The only thing which is bugging me is the sound in imac, it's not really up to the mark.

I want to add one more thing - this forum is amazing - really helpful people here.
cheers kaps
QUOTE Thanks
Kulokoy

Kulokoy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relapse View Post
I just ordered an iMac for myself as well. I should be getting it day after tommorow. I purchased a 17 inch core 2 duo iMac like yourself with 1 GB RAM. But I upgraded the processor to 2.16 gHz and the hard drive to 250 gb.

I've been a Windows user all my life, hopefully this transition will go smoothly!
wether you like it or not, you're gonna like it.
QUOTE Thanks
sneeks

sneeks is on a distinguished road

You will be able to read your windows formatted hdd's on your Mac without any problems. I've had my iMac for a week now and have transferred lots of files from my old PC hdd using a usb caddy.

Congrats on your purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy_M

Andy_M has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb

congrats dude, you will love the machine, i swicthed and will never go back to a windows machine.

once again well done on doing the smart move
QUOTE Thanks
mac_flyer17

mac_flyer17 is on a distinguished road

Hello all! I've made the switch just as hundreds of other PC users out there and haven't looked back! I have been using a PC for over 12 years and have been a network administrator for 2 companies... I actually received my MBP C2D today. It screams, I sold my MBP a week ago and I must say there is a difference. I ordered the one with the 256MB video card and it rocks. I also applied the "invisible shield" and it looks even better!

Anyway to those that are contemplating on making the switch... just do it! You won't regret it. My $0.02. =)
QUOTE Thanks
Hugh Jardon

Hugh Jardon is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_flyer17 View Post
I also applied the "invisible shield" and it looks even better!
What is this?

Ryan
QUOTE Thanks
groggo

groggo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

change also from 5 windows pcs to 2 imacs and 1 windows laptop

the windows laptop days are numbered though

:yinyang: Evolution win 3.1 / 95 -98-2000-xp now Tiger bye bill
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

ya what is the invisible shield?
QUOTE Thanks
Quruli

I swicthed a few months back and I am hopefully getting a MBP on the 13th, fingers crossed anyway!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm Switching.... | It Shipped!! »