New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A Mid-Range First-time Mac Notebook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sarah

To be honest I am really into my PC.

However, for classroom activities I need a laptop. Nothing too expensive, just something powerful enough to play videos to a table of people.
I'm interested in getting a MAC laptop. Because - I won't use it so often (I have years of PC experience) but I would like to have a really pretty and new learning experience so thought I could benefit from learning about the MAC while I go.

My other half is going to the US in a couple of weeks. (I'm in Japan right now).

This is an opportunity to get some stuff from Newegg.com and bring it back to Japan. (It's more expensive here)
Can you recommened a mid range adequate MAC laptop and Operating system please? Thanks. Sarah

Edit: I just saw the Leopard Sneak Peak. Very nice! I wonder if vista will look or seem half as cool.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Even the entry level Macbook is very capable - sporting a 1.83ghz Core Duo - it would be more powerful than a low end PC Laptop, which often still come with Celerons or slower Pentium Ms. I'd definately invest in 1gig of RAM. I think the DVD Burner is a must too, but you might not.

A 2ghz Core Duo with a Gig of RAM will be plenty for you I think!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...D&nclm=MacBook

Get the middle one. :p

PS - Vista is nice, but not as "cool". I ran the Beta for about 9 months... some of it is painful. :doctor:
QUOTE Thanks
Sarah

Thanks Zoolook.

I'll use that page and info as my reference.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Mod note: Thread moved to better forum.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah,
just got one of these myself (the one Zoolook pointed out), with an 80G hd. i'm also a recent switcher (from WXP).

i too was pretty happy with windows, and still am. i'm in server support for work, so i still use win XP pro, W2K3 server, W2K server, and even a few NT machines still.

part of my reason, like you said, was to learn another os. i've also been very pleased that it is a joy to work with once you get used to the tricks and shortcuts. i think for what you need you'll find it more than acceptable, and you may even find yourself gravitating towards it more and more in your leisure time as well.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

What's a MAC?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

wired - ignoring minor mistakes and either not posting or posting an answer to the actual question
tired - pointing out someone elses minor spelling or grammer mistake
retired - playing dumb to make someone else feel the same

[edit]sorry! i just had to. i've read other posts by you yogi and have been impressed (especilly in the outsourcing thread). just a little suprised by the comment - not tryint to be a jerk[/edit]
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
In computer networking a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier attached to most forms of networking equipment.

Fair enough eric, us old timers can be a bit nit-picky sometimes
QUOTE Thanks
eric

i know it happens...

used to admin a pretty big video game forum, i did it too, that's why i reeled it in a bit in the edit.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Sorry, I just got all cocky about it. Sometimes I like being an a-hole. And it was nighttime after a hard days work. No hard feelings :-) ?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

never hard feelings.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Fair enough eric, us old timers can be a bit nit-picky sometimes
we can be a little bit can we? i appologize to everybody on the forums for when i make the same comment in the future.

go low end macbook, you will like it.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apps for different users - permissions | MacBook Vs MacBook Pro!Help! »