New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My Alienware Desktop to MacBook Pro Story

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

avihappy

avihappy is on a distinguished road

Back in August I thought mac users were trolls who would go on forums and say things like "W1nc1o23 U5rs 5uckzorz" so I ordered a PC from AlienWare. It took 2 MONTHS TO BUILD! When I got it, it was screwed up. So I have returned it and am waiting for that 4 grand back (-15%). So while I was waiting, i began to look around for a new PC. I was skeptical of all vendors and did "company sucks" in google and looked for all rants pertaining to hardware build quality. Eventually I picked apple macbook pro since they had few complaints on them and seemed VERY nice. Yes, I am about to join those who only a few months ago was a cult to me. I plan to buy when my account gets credited that money and then to dual boot OSX and Ubuntu 6.10. Has anyone here had build issues with Apple Macs? (PS If this sounds trollish to you, I want you to know I have picked Apple over Dell, AW, Gateway, etc)
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Welcome - I am a recent convert too.

I wouldn't bother with Ubuntu to be honest, there is nothing you can do in Ubuntu that you cannot do more easily in OS X and before you push back, I used Ubuntu for 9 months on a PC Laptop and enjoyed it very much... it's just kinda pointless if you're already running a Unix environment.

I am very happy with my Macbook. Kinda regret not getting a pro as I really wanted to play Civ IV... but sacrifices have to be made.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkRaven24

DarkRaven24 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM

Welcome to the Mac World hehe. I just converted too from my custom made PC.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Welcome to the M-F
QUOTE Thanks
Reverend Wally

I am going to make the switch as soon as I get the check from an insurance settlement. The settlement has been agreed on and the check has been sent by my attorney. I am just waiting.

I am presently using an Xtreme Notebook (Clevo D900K) AMD FX60 with 2 gigs RAM and dual HDs in RAID 0 config. Ilike it, but am tired of the maintainence surprises that Windows always seems to have for me at inopportune times.

I am getting the MBP 17" matte screen 160 gig HD 2 gig RAM C2D super bad Apple/Mac and can hardly wait till I have it in my hot little hands.

I have discovered that the MBPs (C2Ds) come with 802.11n cards. I am hoping that OS will be upgraded to make use of this feature 'cause I have a NetGear 802.11n gigabit edition router and I love it.... I have read that OS will only use the g stabdard at this time unless you load BootCamp and Windows. :eek: OUCH.... Don't want to go there. LOL

:mac: :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook
Welcome - I am a recent convert too.

I wouldn't bother with Ubuntu to be honest, there is nothing you can do in Ubuntu that you cannot do more easily in OS X and before you push back, I used Ubuntu for 9 months on a PC Laptop and enjoyed it very much... it's just kinda pointless if you're already running a Unix environment.

I am very happy with my Macbook. Kinda regret not getting a pro as I really wanted to play Civ IV... but sacrifices have to be made.
Glad to know you like the change. BTW, my little brother plays Civ IV on his macboo and he hasn't run into any problems that I'm aware of, so you should still be able to give it a go.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Re using Ubuntu on your new Mac, Zoolook is absolutely right. There is no need. You may not know this, but Mac OS X is built on FreeBSD (or OpenBSD - I can never remember which). There is a full unix heart beating under that beautiful OS X skin.

When you get your Mac, just open Terminal (in your Utilities folder initially - I immediately added it to my Dock) and behold - you will be greated by good ol' bash.

After that, if you are not a command line sort, go and get yourself DarwinPorts, a simple to install open source build system. After that, go nuts with Open Source software as you like. DarwinPorts is a full open source distribution, but in source form, rather like Gentoo, but MUCH simpler. To add a new package, for example the wonderful gnumeric spreadsheet, you just open a Terminal window and enter:

port gnumeric install

This fires up DarwinPorts, which downloads the gnumeric source, compiles it, builds it and installs it. If there are any missing dependencies, it downloads all of them, in the proper order, builds and installs them, and then carries on with your requested package, in this case gnumeric. It is seamless - nearly flawless package management with a HUGE selection of available software.

Enjoy your new Mac, and don't worry about adding Linux - just use DarwinPorts to import all of the Linux applications you wanted into Mac OS X and run them from there. For myself, I run Abiword, gnumeric, feh, ghostview, xv, gtksee, mc, and a whole host of others.

Macs - they really are the best of both worlds.

Yup, I am a recent convert. I got my Mac in May, after two years as a full time Linux user (SuSE, Mandrake, Arch and Ubuntu) preceded by a lifetime of DOS and Windows usage (starting with DOS 5.0).

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Decisions Decisions | Windows user getting a MacBook Pro :) »