New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

dmg files question, after installing a program

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Virusyn

Virusyn is an unknown at this point

Hi,
This might have been already asked before, but I couldnt find a thread. So here I go, when I install a file say its msn messenger. It creates a MSN Messenger file on my desktop that I can not delete or else my msn would not work. This goes for every other program I install too. What can I do with these dmg files? I tried dragging them into my apps folder but after i delete the one wih the desktop the program fails to work. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A DMG is a Disk Image like say an ISO on the PC. You click and it opens. Inside are the files. If there is an installer, run that, if not, just drag the application file from inside the image to the Applications folder. Then you can close the DMG and then drag the DMG to the trash. MOST OSX programs don't have an installer. All you do is open the DMG and drag the application to the Applications folder. Very easy and if you want to uninstall, just drag the application from the Applications folder to the trash. That easy. If this confuses you at all let me know and I will try and re-word it.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

These threads from the Switcher Hangout should help you as well:

Quick about installing programs??

DMG files

Image Files On Desktop

How do i install download applications?!

Problem installing a program

Installing and up grades

Installing Apps

Installing Programs from dmg

Newbie questions: saving settings and disk images

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Virusyn

Virusyn is an unknown at this point

thanks guys rep added
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« if you had..... | how to get all my files from PwrBook to MacPro »